Nikon F4 and scratches on film

drifter847

May 11, 2014
Singapore
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a Nikon F4 and shot 1 roll on it. After development at triple D labs and scanning it myself, I noticed horizontal scratches on it. I can't tell if its the pressure plate or my scanner. I have attached some pictures below.

Please help, I have no idea what's happening, newbie to film here.

Attachments

• $ForumRunner_20151102_112739.jpg
    $ForumRunner_20151102_112739.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 23
  • $ForumRunner_20151102_112835.jpg
    $ForumRunner_20151102_112835.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
It is not the camera I bet. Pretty nice snaps otherwise.

That sucks...

I would inspect negatives with a magnifying glass or loupe and that should tell you the answer.

Last edited:
white line is because film base* has fine scratch line. usually happen in processing. try use another scanner or the colour lab to scan some picture for you. or view your film with an angle and light reflects towards you, you may visual with it. when we use enlarger to make print with condense light source it will appear white line, as it deflects lights away, but if the enlarger is equip with diffuse light source it may not appear on print.
you may add a sheet of diffusion sheet on your light source of scanner, may reduce your white line problem.

*film base is the side of film face your base pressure plate. non coated.
emulsion is the side coated with multilayer of sensitiser towards the lens.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes went home to check my film as instructed and there were some lines on the some negatives and none on the remainder.

Thanks for helping 👍

Hi,

Yes went home to check my film as instructed and there were some lines on the some negatives and none on the remainder.

Thanks for helping 

could be a processing problem at the lab.