Proper storage of film

wallyworld

Oct 18, 2013
Singapore
I have shot film on and off in the past but recently endeavoured into using a film camera as my main camera. This also meant buying (and storing) more film, including expired film. In an attempt to prolong the shelf life of my film, this is what I am currently doing:

- Stored in freezer
- In a lock&lock plastic container
- Film roll inside plastic canister

I understand that the low temperature will help keep the film usable for much longer periods, but my family stores alot of food in the freezer and it is usually in a pretty wet state. My concern is if condensation will affect the film's shelf life/sensitivity/performance. Hope someone can enlighten me on the effect of that (or lack thereof).

Reactions: Sunworkz
I understand that the low temperature will help keep the film usable for much longer periods, but my family stores alot of food in the freezer and it is usually in a pretty wet state. My concern is if condensation will affect the film's shelf life/sensitivity/performance. Hope someone can enlighten me on the effect of that (or lack thereof).

If it is in a lock lock box like that you stated .. it should be ok isn't it? I put my in zip lock bags and dump them in the freezer.

Why not buy a mini fridge about the size of a small dry cabinet? That way there will not be frequent opening
and closing of fridge door by family members and temperature is constant if you are seriously into film.

Why not buy a mini fridge about the size of a small dry cabinet? That way there will not be frequent opening
and closing of fridge door by family members and temperature is constant if you are seriously into film.

Yes my friend uses a Techno freezer. I think when on sale was $268. You can put it in your bedroom.

If it is in a lock lock box like that you stated .. it should be ok isn't it? I put my in zip lock bags and dump them in the freezer.

Not sure if lock and lock is moisture proof though

Hmmm dont think I am ready to make such an investment yet. Cost of the fridge is one thing, but space constraints and the power consumption I dont think my usage can justify it at this point.

as long as your film is in the original film canister, it will be safe inside the freezer or chiller. what's important is to let the film get to room temperature inside the original film canister to prevent condensation on the film surface. so you'll have to plan how many rolls of film you want to use and bring them out in advance.

if you are worried about wet conditions because of food items being put into the freezer, you can wrap the film boxes in newspaper and than put the whole lot in a ziplock bag or a plastic container.

when you take out the film from the fridge, you need to let them sit for at least an hour, letting them get to room temperature before you load it into camera. so by that time, no condensation issue.

however, I ever took the film out from the fridge and straight away load the film into camera and shoot, because of some super urgent jobs, and I do not see any side effects or any issue on the final images whatsoever.

anyway, store film in fridge is good enough, try not to store film in the freezer, unless you know you won't touch the film for years.

Thanks for all the great advice! Didnt know the canisters are so good at keeping out moisture. I will also try keeping in the fridge to see if it is less wet :)

Hello everybody!
I understand the general rule for shooting expired film is to go up a stop for every decade.
I have an unused roll from 1970. Which is like 4-5 decades ago.

But my Contax T2 can only go +/-2 for exposure compensation. And it doesnt have the option to choose ISO or shutter sleed either.

Any tips on what to do? Or just try +2 exposure compensation?

Hello everybody!
I understand the general rule for shooting expired film is to go up a stop for every decade.
I have an unused roll from 1970. Which is like 4-5 decades ago.

But my Contax T2 can only go +/-2 for exposure compensation. And it doesnt have the option to choose ISO or shutter sleed either.

Any tips on what to do? Or just try +2 exposure compensation?

since the camera only reads DX code, or default non DX at iso 100, you can fool the camera by attach a DX code cut out from another film canister with the ISO speed you wanted it.

anyway if you ask me what would I do to a film like this,
I won't want to waste my time, simply throw it away.

since the camera only reads DX code, or default non DX at iso 100, you can fool the camera by attach a DX code cut out from another film canister with the ISO speed you wanted it. anyway if you ask me what would I do to a film like this, I won't want to waste my time, simply throw it away.

Hey! Thanks! I have a related question about hacking/pushing. If I wanna push 400 to 1600, do I just have to hack the DX coding? Then tell the developers to process at 1600? Or 400?
Or do I also have to turn the EV -2?

Thanks!

Hey! Thanks! I have a related question about hacking/pushing. If I wanna push 400 to 1600, do I just have to hack the DX coding? Then tell the developers to process at 1600? Or 400? Or do I also have to turn the EV -2? Thanks!

You just need to manually set the ISO on your camera and/or handheld light meter for 1600. No need to touch the EV. Then you need to let the person developing that you had shot thin roll at 1600. They'll develop it based on 1600

You just need to manually set the ISO on your camera and/or handheld light meter for 1600. No need to touch the EV. Then you need to let the person developing that you had shot thin roll at 1600. They'll develop it based on 1600

Thanks! But I'm using a Contax T2 which doesn't have an ISO setting option. Shutter is also auto. Does that mean once I hack the DX coding to 1600, it's all good? Don't need to touch EV to do any compensation? Thanks!

Thanks! But I'm using a Contax T2 which doesn't have an ISO setting option. Shutter is also auto. Does that mean once I hack the DX coding to 1600, it's all good? Don't need to touch EV to do any compensation? Thanks!

By hacking you mean scrapping the black square of the film canister? Never tried it before but I've read about it. If that's the case, you don't need to touch the EV as the camera will read the DX code as 1600 (if you scrape the right box away)

By hacking you mean scrapping the black square of the film canister? Never tried it before but I've read about it. If that's the case, you don't need to touch the EV as the camera will read the DX code as 1600 (if you scrape the right box away)

Ah got it!! Cheers!! :D