Questions on developing BW film

virtualme78

Jul 21, 2010
Singapore
www.capturealifestudio.com
Hi there, I have some questions and I'm hoping to seek some answers from the experts here. I have been shooting and developing my own BW films for a few years. I recently encountered 1 problem on 2 different occasions.

I have shot and developed 2-3 rolls of self-rolled TRIX 400 which was prolly 3-4 years expired on 2 different occasions using my 4 year old diafine mixtures. My diafine mixture A is deep orange in color with some black dust like particles at the bottom of the bottle, while my diafine mixture B is deep yellow in color.

On my 2 occasions of developing the films using diafine, I got empty rolls as if I have never shot them before. I am 100% sure I have loaded the films on my Contax T3 properly and shot them till the very last frame when the camera automatically rewind the film.

The camera is working properly because I occasionally shoot C-41 films and had the rolls developed without problems at the labs. Are my diafine mixtures "dead", if not what happened to my rolls? Please help and thank you very much!

i put my bet on the developer. I guess u already know that to confirm that you have to use fresh, non expired developer to test on yr expired film .

Yea, I know. When I got empty roll the first time I developed, I thought I mistakenly developed a new roll because I have this habit of leaving rolls of films on my table new or exposed. At the same time, I kind of suspected the developer was exhausted but everyone on the internet said diafine will last forever. On the second time, I am very very sure I have properly exposed the 2 rolls of films and yet I'm getting the same results again.

i put my bet on the developer. I guess u already know that to confirm that you have to use fresh, non expired developer to test on yr expired film .

It also depends on how you store the chemicals. My diafine was about 3 years old when it got exhausted. Ended up with empty frames as well. If you don't take care of your chemicals well it wouldn't last, especially in the local heat. It's best to store in smaller containers too rather than keeping all the diafine solution in one large bottle. Reduces the chance of frequent oxygen exposure.