Settings on Panasonic GH4

RyanKhoo

Apr 6, 2008
Hi all GH4 experts and users,

Lately, I have been having problem recording video on my GH4. The recordings are now not sharp and as a result, I am very confused now !

I suspect, it is the shutter speed settings.

I have a few questions to understand the basics correctly.

But before that, here is the settings on my GH4 in MOVIE MODE are as follows:

Under SETUP:

1) System Frequency = 50.00 Hz (PAL)

Under MOTION PICTURE:

1) Rec Format = MOV

2) Rec Quality = 4K/100M/25p

QUESTIONS:

1) I was told that I have to set my shutter speed to twice the frequency rate. Based on the above settings, is it correct if I set the shutter speed to 100 (since my system frequency is 50Hz) ?

Self note: I guess my mistake was to set the shutter speed to 50. I did that because I was confused with the Rec Quality of 4K in 25p. Since I thought doubling of 25p is 50.

2) Can please educate me what is the difference between the System Frequency of 50 Hz and Rec Quality of 25p ?

3) In the above settings, will my camera takes 25 or 50 frames per minute ?

4) Since we always say that PAL is 25 frames per second, then why is the Frequency Settings for PAL above is 50 Hz instead of 25 Hz ?

On a separate matter,

5) How come when I shoot in movie mode using Shutter Priority, I am not able to see the corresponding Aperture (F) that the camera selected/paired for me ?

6) How come when I shoot in movie mode using Manual method, I am not able to adjust the exposure compensation ?

Thanks

hey bro,

1) shutter speed twice of frame rate. not frequency rate.
2) system frequency is a PAL/NTSC thing. set to PAL (50Hz) and don't touch it anymore, IIRC, unless you want to shoot in Cinema 4K mode.
3) 25p is 25 frames per second, progressive
4) this is more of a transmission thing than anything else
5) actually you should be using Manual Movie mode when shooting video.
6) same as above. lol. when u shoot video exposure should be adjusted using aperture, ISO or NDs only

Lately, I have been having problem recording video on my GH4. The recordings are now not sharp and as a result, I am very confused now !

You mean they used to be sharp and now (without changing anything) your videos are suddenly not?

What picture profile setting are you using? What is the sharpness setting there?

To have any meaningful discussion, will need to see video samples (or even still frames) to understand what you're talking about specifically. Otherwise, it could be anything! Maybe it could just be a smudge on your monitor or your glasses :bsmilie:

Last edited:
other video people told me something like this before

50hz (PAL) is correct => SG electrical pulse rate or something

1. shutter should be 1/50 << double of frame rate, not double of hertz rate
2. 50hz = electrical pulse signal or something (do a test, see difference between shooting 50hz and 60hz > shoot room light / tv), 25p = 25frames per second progressive (as opposed to "interlace")
3. 25p = 25 frames per second = normal ... the higher the fps, the better it is for slow motion later
4. see my point #2
5. movie mode > recommendation is shoot on manual mode rather than other assisted modes
6. manual mode > may not have exposure compensation for your camera, but not necessary also because you should be using the aperture, iso or nd filters to control the light to achieve the exposure and depth of field you want, but holding shutter constant at 1/50

lastly for the "not as sharp" part, do show some references for comparison, could be lens, could be settings, could be camera got problem, could be focusing, could be computer screen settings even, could also be due to the focal length

Last edited: