110/120/135(35mm) Format Film Scanning/Development Service (Coolscan 9000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgston

Jan 23, 2007
East
Offering 110/120/135 format film scanning service using a dedicated film scanner (Nikon Coolscan 9000).

Promotions & Notices
Operations have resumed. There is however a backlog with a turnover of approximately 1 week.
Important announcement here.
Now using Fujifilm's AG Guard during development for better BW film archival properties!
-----
Free return via mail for all film orders mailed in.
Need you scans urgently? Download them off Google Drive once they are done! (All files will be compressed and password encrypted)

The following slide films will have a custom ICC profile applied for more accurate colours:
Fujifilm Provia 100F/400F/X, Astia 100F, Velvia 50/100/F, Sensia
Fujifilm Pre-2003 Provia, Astia, Sensia
Kodak Ektachrome
Agfachrome RSX, RSX II, CT Precisa

Film Scanning Service Pricelist

135 format / 35mm Services (Neg, Slide or B/W) @4000dpi (approx 5000+px long side 23MP) w/ Digital ICE:
Roll - $14/roll
Mounted Slides - $0.70/slide
Indv frames (Strip) - $1.50/frame
Choice of 8bit/colour or 16bit/colour & JPEG/TIFF (Uncompressed) - Free of charge
Anti Newton Ring Glass Holder - Charges will be the same as 35mm Panorama Services

135 format / 35mm Panorama Services (Neg, Slide or B/W) @4000dpi (up to 21cm long) & Digital ICE:
110 format / 16mm Services (Neg, Slide or B/W) @4000dpi & Digital ICE:

Roll - $17/roll
Indv frames - < 9cm in length - $2.50frame
Indv frames - > 9cm in length - $5/frame
Indv frames - 16mm - $1.50/frame
Choice of 8bit/colour or 16bit/colour & JPEG/TIFF (Uncompressed) - Free of charge
Sprocket scanning - Upon request, free of charge
Anti Newton Ring Glass Holder will be used

135 format / 35mm Film Sprocket Scanning (Neg, Slide or B/W) @4000dpi w/ Digital ICE:
Roll - Additional $3/roll
Indv frames - Additional $0.50/frame

120 format Services (Neg, Slide or B/W) @4000dpi (approx 8500+px/6cm, 80MP) w/ Digital ICE:
(6x4.5/6/7/8/9cm)
Roll - $20/roll
Indv frames - $3/frame
(6x10-18cm)
Indv frames - $7/frame
Anti Newton Ring Glass Holder will be used unless your film strips are very uncooperative:)

Multi Sampling
4x Multi Sample - 1.5x price of frame/roll
8x Multi Sample - 2.25x price of frame/roll
16x Multi Sample - 3.375x price of frame/roll

Bulk pricing available for 5 rolls and above for 16mm, 35mm, 35mm panorama and 120 format scanning. Please enquire. Savings of up to 30%.
Please also enquire if you require scanning odd sized films. Rates may vary slightly.

Film Development
Send to lab - Cost of development + $5 (One off service charge)
BW film development
Ilford DD-X (1+4) - $9
Maco Rodinal R09 (1+25 / 1+50) - $9
Ilford Perceptol (stock) - $27 for 3x 35mm rolls or 2x 120 rolls (Higher dilution ratios possible)
Ilford Microphen (stock) - $27 for 3x 35mm rolls or 2x 120 rolls (Higher dilution ratios possible)
Fujifilm Super Prodol (for Acros and Neopan only) (stock) - $27 for 3x 35mm rolls or 2x 120 rolls (Higher dilution ratios possible)
Fujifilm Microfine (for Acros and Neopan only) (stock) - $27 for 3x 35mm rolls or 2x 120 rolls (Higher dilution ratios possible)
Kodak D-76 (stock) - $27 for 3x 35mm rolls or 2x 120 rolls (Higher dilution ratios possible)
BW films will be developed by myself to recommend timings on developer's technical sheet using one-shot processing. Please inform me before hand the brand and model/speed of film you will be sending. Prices includes plastic sleeves and choice of push-pull processing.

Return delivery:
Via Google Drive - no extra charge
If you provide me with your own media when you pass me your films (dvd or any other storage media; pls ensure sufficient space) - no extra charge
If you require me to provide storage media, it is $1/DVD
Return postage w/ postpac env (A4 size) (registered) $3
Return postage w/ postpac env (A4 size) (non-registered) $FOC

Scanning method:
Using Coolscan 9000 and scanned with Nikon Scan 4 with Digital ICE dust & scratch removal (pls state if you do not want this option; note that I will not be responsible if your images have a few specks of dust on it, though I will give the film a good blow before scanning.)
No sharpening or colour correction. Scans provided will be the direct output from the scanner. Choice of JPEG (highest quality) or TIFF (uncompressed) (16bit files are only in TIFF)
In addition, digital ICE do not work on normal B/W films. Only on slides, colour negatives and C-41 processed B/W films.
Will scan cross processed negs or slides and redscale films too. However I will not guaranty scanning outcomes.
In addition, I don't provide wet mount options.

T&C
Drop me a PM/email with your hp no. and email address letting me know you will be sending your films to me and your required services. Pls mail in your films by post and I will send you the estimated charges & turnover time via email and send you the final charges once work is completed. Payment can be made via bank transfer upon completion. Goods will not be returned until full payment is made.
I will not be responsible if the post office loses your films/media during transit. I recommend registered mail.
All films in my charge will be handled with utmost care. Should I damage your film by accident, I will replace it with an unexposed identical or similar type film, depending on availability.
I have encountered rare cases where digital ICE produces an error artefact. Usually I will check before sending out but sometimes I do miss out.. In such cases, I will rescan the particular frame FOC but will not be responsible for to and fro transportation costs.

Should you have any other queries feel free to PM me and hope to hear from you soon.

Samples
Samples of my scans are available at: Kgston's film scanning samples

If you are wondering exactly how much better does my scans compare to that of a flatbed, (I'll boldly assume the V700 is the king of flatbeds, at least in Singapore) I have posted up a small comparison between a V700 (of which I used to own) and my current Coolscan 9000 and a 16 pass multi sampling sample. Kgston's Film scanning comparison, V700 & Coolscan 9000 Note: This is a 35mm comparison

If you are curious as to whether it is worth the extra money paid for multi sampling, you can see and decide for yourself, short of asking me for my opinion of course:) kgston's Coolscan 9000 Multisampling comparision

Film sprockets samples can be seen here: BW Slide developement using Ilford method

Last edited:
Forward

Planar Productions LLP is a small scale film scanning service catered to the photographers who still believe in the medium of film. When I started out my foray into film photography back in 2007, I found that getting scans that could rival DSLRs would cost you a fortune and anything with a semblance of cost-effectiveness produced images no better than a compact digital camera. Today, it is comparable to the top end camera phones. It wasn't that film was bad, it was the scanners that photo labs used, which emphasised speed and simplicity over quality and control. You see, film scanning is a tedious and time consuming process. It requires a lot of thought and effort to fine tune the scanner settings and workflow in order to get good scans efficiently; which is to say scans turn out right the first time 75% of the time. And for the 25% of the time that doesn't work out, you need someone who knows a lot about digital post production to rectify the issues. This is something the run-off-the-mill photo labs cannot offer. I myself have been a freelance commercial photographer for since 2009 so I would like to think that I know enough, but that is far from the truth. 5 years into the business, I am still finding new ways to get the best colours from negative film. But thanks to the constant support from our clients, we have continuously improved our workflow and that is evident in our scans we deliver.

But in all honesty, the photographic film industry is on its way down. The cost of films has gone through the roof (prices have tripled while the range have halved). The places where one could get their films professionally developed (labs who run QC strips to ensure development consistency) have literally evaporated (save for our friends at Analog Film Lab). And even for us at Planar Productions, profits isn't enough to justify doing this as a full time business. The only reason why we are still here is that both me and my sister Sheen are both passionate film users and we want to help fellow films photographers like us get the most from the medium. For as much as we can, we want to provide quality scans at a reasonable price so film photographers don't have to tear their hair out trying to find optimum scanner settings or spend half a lifetime waiting for their images to appear on screen. And for as long as there are clients who finds a need in us, we will try our best to stay in business.

So it is also with a tinge of sadness that I am announcing my "semi-retirement" from Planar Productions. From 16 March 2015, my sister Sheen will be taking over all aspects of operations and you can expect the same quality that we have been providing till today. I will still be around to find ways to improve the workflow and to answer any complicated queries clients may have, but for everything else Sheen should be able to answer your needs. I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely thank all our clients, past and present for their support and trust over the years. I've work with artists, commercial photographers and hobbyists and it is really a pleasure for me to get to know every single one of you. We wouldn't still be here without you. :)

Kingston Chan
Planar Productions LLP

You can contact me at kingston@planarp.com or Sheen at sheen@planarp.com

Last edited:
upz for the night

Updated my samples...upz for the night..

upz for the day...bulk pricing for indv frames is also available..
Pls note that roll pricing is for scanning the entire roll, if you are looking to scan selected frames from a roll or multiple rolls, charges will fall under indv frames.

ups for the night..current turnover time is 1-2 days...PM or email me for enquires...

ups for the night

upz for the day...

Ups for the night...

ups for the day...

ups for the day..

ups for the day..

ups for the night

ups for the night..

ups for the night

ups for the night

ups for the night

ups for the day