50mm f1.2 ais blue coated?

anadivine

Apr 4, 2008
Tampines
how come this lens is blue coated?
single coated vs multi coated?

ah!

i typed it all then went away from the page.. so here it is again.

these are the nikon coatings im certain of:

early single coat: orange reflection. pre AI lenses without 'C' designation. eg. Nikkor - S 50 1.4
multi-coat (1st gen): Blue reflection. Pre AI lenses with the 'C' designation. eg. Nikkor - S C. 50 1.4
Nikon NIC : purplish violet OR green reflection depending on lens. most AIS lenses and AF lenses.
Nikkor S 5.8cm f/1.4 coating is somewhat unique being blue-ish purple hinting multi coating, yet at the time it was produced, only single coating was advertised.

It is possible that some early 50 1.2 AI lenses were produced with the blue 'C' coating, i think i have seen one, but i cant remember properly. This lens might well be one of those, but had the outer barrel changed to an AIS style body to make it look mint and 'special' hence the 'late serial number'. on the other hand, it might indeed be an original nikkor, but i don't see why nikon would revert to an older coating(or newer one) without being well documented or advertised to be better.

just checked with the photosynthesis web page, the serial number is a late AIS possibly late 1990s and the lenses serial number puts it as a newer version than my copy which has purple coating...

Last edited:
Thanks alot for your input :)
old glass in new body it seems for this.