[adrewine] ~ My Photo Journal '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

20| 09| 09

~ Botak Liao ~

Uetliburg Mountain, Zürich, Switzerland

Oly E620 & 40-150mm Kit Lens

Incredible Bokeh ! Very soothing to look at :)

Incredible Bokeh ! Very soothing to look at :)

Thanks Justintime.....................

As you might know that Oly has never been known for its "Bokehness" and furthermore to achieve it with the humble kit lenses is even more difficult..........
I'm glad you liked it.

This shot has clearly demonstrated in a way that one does not necessarily need to have a higher grade lenses to get a "nice and soothing Bokehness".
In fact any kit lenses out there are able to produce the same shot like the one I have albeit with slightly more difficulty....that's all......But of course with a better = bigger aperture lenses means that that task are much easier to achieve ...........

At the end of the day it is the user and not the tool that determine what kind of "bokehness" one wants to capture........by that I don't mean the "creaminess" but to choose your background carefully.........

Here's another shot for you from Taipei..........Cheers!

21| 09| 09

~ Taipei Iconic Landmark ~
National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall, Taipei, Taiwan

Oly E510 & 9-18mm SG Lens

Last edited:

22| 09| 09

~ St. Patrick Cathedral ~
5th Ave, Manhattan, NYC

Oly E620 & 9-18mm SG Lens

Shot Handheld @ High ISO

Last edited:
Hi Andrewine, can you share how did you get that -Botak Liao- shot? did you zoom all the way to 150mm? what do you look out for in the background?

I am a great fan of your photography!

Hi Andrewine, can you share how did you get that -Botak Liao- shot? did you zoom all the way to 150mm? what do you look out for in the background?

I am a great fan of your photography!

Thank you cch11........yes you are right to shoot it at 150mm with the subject focused at the minimum focusing distance of the lens........There are many factors that can affect the "bokehness' of the shot..........one of them is the distance of the background to the subject concerned.....the further away the better is your Bokeh.

Choose your background carefully so that it is well lit and not too clutter so that there is a contrast and separation.

If one is always talking about how good his/her lens's "bokehness" is ( then I can safely say that it is the lens that is taking the photographs and not the photographer any more ).............

I've once met a photographer who proudly showed me this model portraiture shots. He constantly talked about how beautiful and creamy his bokeh was and also how expen$ive his lens had cost him.......hehe........sometimes I wondered whether he is taking portraiture or taking bokehness..........I think he is in love with his equipment rather than in the art of portraiture photography!............hehe...... He had totally forgotten about his model's beauty already.

Anyway I've demonstrated this technique many times even to P&S users (those prosumer range with a zoom lenses) and always amused to see their jaw drop in disbelieve!........hehe

Below are 2 portraiture examples: one with the Kit Lens ED 40-150mm and the other with the SG Lens ED 70-300mm.

Enjoy!

23| 09| 09

~ Kansie ~
Chijmes, Singapore

Oly E510 & 40-150mm

--------------- * ------------------

24| 09| 09

~ All By Myself ~

Ruby @ Singapore Botanic Gardens, Singapore

Oly E510 & 70-300mm SG Lens

Last edited:
Last edited:

26| 09| 09

~ Saint Marie Bernard (Bernardette) ~
Church of St. Bernardette, Singapore ~ 50th Anniversary Celebration

Oly E510 & 14-42mm Kit Lens

Last edited:

27| 09| 09

~ Serenity Morning ~

Uetliburg Mountain, Zürich, Switzerland

Oly E620 & 14-42mm Kit Lens

Last edited:

29| 09| 09

~ St. Bernardette ~
Church of St. Bernardette, Singapore ~ 50th Anniversary Celebration

Oly E510 & 14-42mm Kit Lens

Last edited:
your photography skills is superb even with a kit lens. i am humbled.

your photography skills is superb even with a kit lens. i am humbled.

Thanks multicolortiger............so sorry to reply you so late.......have been busy with work lately.............

Here's one shot from Japan for you.......Cheers!

01| 10| 09

~ Man with Umbrella ~
Fukuoka, Japan

Last edited:
Thank you Raylen.

Here's one for you from Sydney. Cheers!

28| 09| 09

~ Climb the Sails ~
Sydney Opera House, NSW, Australia

love this shot. :)