Effects of Using DT lens on Film SLR or full frame Imager

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee Pals...

Just to share an illustration on the effects of using DT lens on 35mm film camera....

dtlens.jpg

Hope this will help those who may not understand the DT lens effect on film cameras. With this info.
This is also true for the DX lens in Nikon system, Canon EF-S lens - if used on a full frame 35mm film SLR or full frame Imager (CCD/CMOS).

rgds,
sulhan

Good Stuff. Very Informative.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

UY79 said:
Did anyone fit any DT lense to a film body and taken a shot?

You try and let us know lor ;p
It is stated that the DT lens is not for SLR. Therefore, don't be hero, try it and spoil either equipment. Like Canon, some lens cannot be use on FF due to the focus length. ;)

BBTM said:
You try and let us know lor ;p
It is stated that the DT lens is not for SLR. Therefore, don't be hero, try it and spoil either equipment. Like Canon, some lens cannot be use on FF due to the focus length. ;)

Nikon DX lenses can be used on SLR without any drawbacks except vignetting. And most of the wide angle DX lenses will not vignette at longer focal ranges.

UY79 said:
Nikon DX lenses can be used on SLR without any drawbacks except vignetting. And most of the wide angle DX lenses will not vignette at longer focal ranges.

Nikon also got some lens couldn't use on some SLR. So, for KM, unless u want to try, pls go ahead n do so. I don't want to take the risk. ;p

BBTM said:
Nikon also got some lens couldn't use on some SLR. So, for KM, unless u want to try, pls go ahead n do so. I don't want to take the risk. ;p

ALL Nikon DX lenses can be used on film bodies. I would try if I can get my hands on a DT lens.

UY79 said:
If so, at what focal length does the vignetting stops?

That could be interesting... DT lenses are significantly cheaper... :think:

Must try when we meet up... I got loads of Superia 200 from my last trip still lying in my dry cabinet.

UY79 said:
Did anyone fit any DT lense to a film body and taken a shot?

The 18-70 (kit lens for 5D) can be used at 28mm on a film body IIRC. Dunno about the results, but it will give full coverage at that setting and up...

UY79 said:
ALL Nikon DX lenses can be used on film bodies. I would try if I can get my hands on a DT lens.

can mount but does not mean full capability, e.g. 18-70 vignets at all focal lengths based on what nikon users say.

mpenza said:
can mount but does not mean full capability, e.g. 18-70 vignets at all focal lengths based on what nikon users say.

That post was to address BBTM's statement that not all Nikon DX can be mounted on film bodies.

Incompatibility of the lenses and their effects on film bodies are well known in other mounts. Especially with Nikon, since there's no physical restriction in the design of their DX lense as compared with Canon's EF-S where filing on the protruding part is required.

I'm just curious that no one with KM DT lenses tried to do what the Nikon users did with their DX lense.

Later I found out there is someone who did: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15839164

UY79 said:
That post was to address BBTM's statement that not all Nikon DX can be mounted on film bodies.

Incompatibility of the lenses and their effects on film bodies are well known in other mounts. Especially with Nikon, since there's no physical restriction in the design of their DX lense as compared with Canon's EF-S where filing on the protruding part is required.

I'm just curious that no one with KM DT lenses tried to do what the Nikon users did with their DX lense.

Later I found out there is someone who did: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1035&message=15839164

Woah!!! Brilliant!!! Now I am quite sold!!

TME said:
Woah!!! Brilliant!!! Now I am quite sold!!

Hi, I am planning to get myself a 17-35. So it is either Tamron or KM. But after reading this, I think I will get Tamron instead of KM because KM is also a DT lens. Whereas Tamron can be used on full frame and Digital also.

ryanvios said:
Hi, I am planning to get myself a 17-35. So it is either Tamron or KM. But after reading this, I think I will get Tamron instead of KM because KM is also a DT lens. Whereas Tamron can be used on full frame and Digital also.

err... sorry, I didn't read KM 17-35mm as a DT lens. It should be a D lens for ADI purpose not the DT lens which KM came out with D5D. Correct me if I am wrong. I am also getting a 17-35m too..;)

ryanvios said:

Ryan, the 17-35mm is a full frame lens. Not a digital lens for APS-C sized sensors. It will work with 35mm format film SLRs as well as full frame DSLRs. The KM is better I feel but that's wholly due to brand loyalty...:bsmilie:

need top ask a question...thus if we use a DT lens on a APS-sized ccd, will the field of view be cropped as well?