film broke in my camera

schon

Sep 10, 2005
the other side
hi guys

my film "broke" while in the camera. i was unwinding the roll and suddenly it snapped.

any ideas on what to do please? :dunno:

thanks!

is it black and white or colour film?

if it is black and white, and you know how to develop it yourself, you can open up your camera in the dark bag. gently take out the broken off film from the spool and load it into 1 of the film development reel. your development tank usually has 2 reels. the other reel, you can reel whatever film is left in your canister. then develop 2 reels together.

if it is colour film... if you know how to DIY C41 processing at home, the steps are the same. otherwise... you have to bring the whole camera to a photo development shop that has a dark bag and ask them to take out the film for you and develop it. the shops should have those black lightproof bags.

if you staying at the HDB come with a bomb shelter store room, than you can utilise it to remove the film from camera,
first find a light-tight container able to hold the roll of film,
wait till at night, off all the light in living room, you may need to draw the curtain if the is any light from the window.
go inside the storeroom, set up a small work area that you able use it to take up the film from the camera
close the door and off the light, it should be pitch dark in there, but don't do anything yet,
wait for about 5 to 10 mins, than look around you, you should able to find if there is any light leak into the room,
once you are certain there is no light leak,
you can open up the camera and remove the film,
place the film strip into the container,

seal it up with masking tape and label the container to let people know what is inside.

thanks all for their replies. the film i have in there is colour film. does anyone know of a good shop who would take my camera in to help remove the film? i don't think i'd wanna risk taking the film out myself. thanks!