Fujifilm's X 5th Anniversary Announcements - X-Pro2, X70, and more

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
[15.Jan.2016] On Fujifilm’s 5th Anniversary of the X-series, they announced 5 new additions to the X-family,

- Fujifilm X-Pro2
- Fujifilm X-E2S
- Fujinon XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
- EF-X500 (development announcement)
- Fujifilm X70
- FinePix XP90

Would you believe that it has already been 5 years since we were first introduced to the X-series, with the X100, X10, and X-S1? 5 years on, with multiple new X bodies, and new (XF and XC) lenses, they are introducing their 3rd generation sensor and processor!

There are already a number of very credible hands-on reviews already available all over the internet, so I will just highlight some key features of each.

Last edited:

Fujifilm X-Pro2
Key features,
- 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor
- X Processor Pro image processing engine
- New ACROS Film Simulation mode
- Extended Phase Detection Area (expanded from 49 to 77 selectable points)
- Reorganising of the rear buttons
- Dual SD card slots

The larger sensor provides users with more detail in the images, while the faster processor provides higher FPS, higher refresh rates, faster writing speeds, and improved processing in general. Aside from the how this generally enhances the photography experience, one additional benefit with this additional processing capability is the incorporation of the new ACROS film simulation, with grain control. We should be expecting a lot more B&W images come out once the X-Pro1 hits the market.

The natural question is than, “when will these be incorporated into the X-T line”… I don’t have the answer, but it took 3 years between the X-Pro1 and the X-T1. I hope (for Fujifilm’s sake) that it takes months rather than years for us to see the X-T2 with the new sensor, new processor, new ACROS film simulator, and dual card slots.

keithwee's review of the X-Pro 2 can be found here - [Keithwee] Preview of The Fujifilm X-Pro 2 : The ‘Pro’ returns

Last edited:
Fujifilm X-E2S – this looks very much like the X-E2 with some tweaks. Notably, the updated AF system, increased ISO sensitivity range (to ISO 51,200), and 1/32,000 sec electronic view finder. Existing X-E2 users will be happy to know that a new firmware (4.00), with many of the same improvements, will be available in early Feb.

Fujinon XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Key features,
- Equivalent to 150-600mm
- 6ED lenses, including 1 Super ED lens
- 5-stop OIS

I must admit that this was a lot lighter than expected, at below 1.4kg. While the 5-stop OIS can help steady the image for you… at 400mm, I would still suggest you anchor your elbow somewhere. While the lens seems a little awkward mounted on a X-series camera, by virtue of its size. It does satisfy a gap in the XF lens range of the super-tele zoom.

This is the last of the Fujifilm’s current XF lens roadmap, making it 21 lenses for the X-series. The focal lengths are well covered with primes and fast zooms. So what’s next? Perhaps, just as Fujifilm has done with offering the 35mmf/1.4 and 35mmf/2 to offer variety for the same focal length, hopefully they may consider something similar for the 23mm. Or perhaps looking into specialty lenses like fish-eyes or macros? Or an ultra / super wide f/2.8 zoom, to complete the f/2.8 trinity (together with the XF16-55mm F2.8 R LM WR and the XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR). Time will tell, and I’m sure we will hear about it by the time Photokina comes around in Sept.

Last edited:

Fujifilm X70
Key features,
- APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- EXR Processor II image processing engine
- FUJINON 18.5mm F2.8 lens
- Silent electronic shutter, up to 1/32,000sec
- 180-degree tilting touchscreen LCD (Touch focusing and Touch shooting)
- Weighs approximately 340g

I actually went into the launch without thinking too much about the X70, but this little baby really impressed me. It is the little brother to the Fujifilm X100T, and even shares the same battery and their optional hoods are compatible with each other… but the X70 is only 340g and fits comfortably into the trouser pocket.

Some have compared it to the GRD, but it may or may not be a fair comparison. Both have their pros and cons, or rather, they both have their respective charms.

keithwee's review of the X70 can be found here - [keithwee] Preview of the Fujifilm Fujion XF35mm F2 R WR lens

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there's is any point to the X-E2S at all. Sure, you don't want another camera with the new 24mp chip to compete with the X-PRO2 but they couldn't wait for a while to launch an X-E3?

I'm not sure if there's is any point to the X-E2S at all. Sure, you don't want another camera with the new 24mp chip to compete with the X-PRO2 but they couldn't wait for a while to launch an X-E3?

To me I don really much point for an XE2S either (oops). If I'm happy with my XE2 I'll just wait out for the firmware update.

To me I don really much point for an XE2S either (oops). If I'm happy with my XE2 I'll just wait out for the firmware update.
You are saying me currently owned an XE2. Thanks. same thinking.

The launched of XE-2S will cause the price of XE-2 to drop. Waiting to buy the older model. It is already very capable.

agree. actually, aside from the physical differences (which may not be very significant), the FW update should bring the X-E2 on par with the features announced on the X-E2s... existing X-E2 users should not be looking at changing to the X-E2s, the should be looking at upgrading to same rangefinder-styled X-Pro2!! ;)

This is another review of the X-Pro2 with some very nice sample shots - Fuji X-Pro2 review with 20 high res sample images, by Damien Lovegrove

After reading that, you may need this... X-Pro2 Pre-order Offer

The Af update will be something xe2 owner look forward to

wow, makes me dream of Neopan film simulation!

Ya , much closer. Especially with the firmware focus on AF improvements.

wow, makes me dream of Neopan film simulation!
Lol... that was mentioned to the Fujifilm development team. For those who might be wondering, the ACROS film simulation will only be available with the X Processor Pro processor. Apparently, the ACROS film simulation with the grain control takes advantage of the additional processing capabilities of the new processor.

What does that imply?
i) You should not be expecting as a firmware update to current sets (all using the EXR Processor II).
ii) i'd be looking forward to it in the X-T2 (not that the X-T2 has been announced yet, but it would be the natural next step for Fujifilm to update the X-T1 with the new sensor and processor).

looks good.

For those who are interested, DPREVIEW posted an very nice interview with 2 of the top executives in FUJIFILM,

- Mr Toru Takahashi, Director, Senior Vice President and General Manager, FUJIFILM Optical Device & Electronic Imaging Products Divison
- Mr Toshihisa Iida, General Manager of the Sales and Marketing Group, FUJIFILM Optical Device & Electronic Imaging Products Division

... as they related to the new X-Pro2, FF vs APS-C, Still vs Video, Where the X70 fits in the line-up of X cameras, What's next for the XF line-up, and more...

http://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6258617860/fujifilm-interview-jan-2016