How to Spot Fake Memory Cards (CF and SD)

Vector replied:

"Should there be any problem with your memory card, please return to Fuwell for service support as their goods is not purchase from us.

As a reminder please keep receipt for warranty."

the cards are not from them....parallel imported! OMG!:eek:

I think we need to look at the bigger picture here.

Vector Magnetics is a distributor of products and the majority of cards in Sg will be through them. that does not mean that other resellers are selling fakes as there are other legal and appropriate distribution channels for products.

Think about parallel imports for cars. Your Toyota Axio and JDM Honda Accord are still authentic :)

Buy from a known and reputable reseller... including places like Mustafa. You'll be ok. Sleep well.

I have bought my 16GB Extreme III CF card from the recent PC Show 2009 and I too have initial scare. I have discover that there is no Vector Magnetics Sticker or the Hologram sticker found on the retail box. However, I manage to register successfully using the serial no. on the card thru the Sandisk website. You could try to register your memory card to verify if it is a genuine Sandisk product too. At least for now I know my card is genuine Sandisk's Product and no more worries that the card will not work as expected. Unfortunately only shop warranty of 5 years is given instead of the lifetime limited warranty printed on the retail box.

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1668

Check and found the package of the reviewed Extreme III card do not have the hologram too.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/941/1/

sandisk_extreme3_bundle.jpg

Last edited:
you can try to register your SD card on Lexar website. I'd done mine 2 4GB SDHC cards without any issue :dunno: :

https://store.lexar.com/registration/

This registration doesn't even include the need to provide the serial number... like that how to register?

So is there a way to ensure the Lexar card is real? I'm having problems with mine now... :/

I got my 8Gb SD memory card for free when purchasing a digital camera. :sweat:

I recently went for a shoot and I came back with a JPEG file that was 1.86GB on computer :eek:

I'm using a Canon 40D with a Sandisk Ultra 8GB.
The card seems to have registered it in the proper size cause' my 244 1/2 JPEG 1/2 RAW files were only 2.72GB.

Is this a random occurring error of do I have a fake card? :confused:

btw the file couldn't be opened in the Window's office picture manager, but could be viewed in picasa

I bought a Lexar 8GB Plantium II class 6 from Giant about 2 weeks ago. It's only $25. Sounds too cheap to be true.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a refund.

Hey guys,
It can be very difficult to spot a fake card, but there is a sure way to test to see if it's real - and not just by formatting the card. There are 1000s of these fake card around - if you bought from eBay beware.

Many cards are sold each day which are low capacity but have been reprogrammed to self-report that they are higher. eg. a 2gb card will be telling your system, camera, etc that it has 32gb to offer up. Not necessarily a problem... until you start to fill it over it's actual physical capacity. Then data starts getting corrupted.

The only way to be sure is to back up your data, format the card, then fill it up with lots of files until the entire capacity is used up, then read back all the info for verification. If you wrote 32gb to that card but lose 30gb in the read-back, you have a fake, join the club.

There's lots of info at SOSfakeflash.wordpress.com and a free program that will do this for you H2testw in windows. I think there's a different program for Mac that does the same thing but I can't find it right now.

Test your cards!

Good information on How to Spot Fake Memory Cards (CF and SD) from the below website.

http://www.digisniper.com/2006/09/12/how-to-spot-fake-memory-cards-cf-and-sd/

Purpose
As fake memory cards have now proliferated throughout the marketplace, it is important to be able to spot a fake. This page includes methods to spot fakes, and examples of fake cards.

Why should you care?

Inferior quality card - you’re not getting what you paid for
No warranty - when the card fails, you’re out of luck
Fake cards sometimes have invalid partition sizes, making it likely to fail
It will drive costs of genuine cards up

Spotting a fake
Unfortunately there is no software which will test the card, and ensure that it’s genuine. You must manually scrutinise your card, (both visually and by testing it’s performance), to get some idea of it’s genuinity.

Presentation quality and differences

First thing to look for is poorly printed labels and material; most fake cards have slight differences from the real deal. Most manufacturers have a page where you can download high resolution pictures of their cards. Below is a list of manufacturer image page links:

Sandisk
Sony
Olympus

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

:thumbsd: :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing that Space

Hello
Yes today in market fake memory cards are very sold. This type of fraud is must be stopped.

Yesterday I just buy a lexar CF card 400x from a clubsnap member,he(Myanmar young guy)say give me 7day personnel warranty and will mail the receipt to me,I testing the card at my D300,I felt the card speed a bit slow(I not sure the card is fake,that why I want to see the receipt,that day he say buy from peninsula plaza)but never receive any email to me about the receipt,today I almost SMS 10 mess to him,till now still not reply,so be careful for this member..lowenxander05

so complicated..
must buy in big big shops..

yeah many products not fake they have good quality,too,they just dont have a powerful brand so they use others brand to improve the sales

Thanks.. just what i needed. this guide has helped me to save some money. :) in the end i went to Harvey Normal to get. ahaha

Wow thanks for the info chim....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for info, got burned one time. Never again!)