Kodak Ektachrome Slide Duplicating Film

greysketches

Jun 20, 2012
Holland V
Calling out to all the experienced film users, some help needed here!

Few months ago, my ex colleagues found the mentioned films in our old office building and we have absolutely no idea what or how is it used. I have 3 rolls on my side and have never used them on my SLR. Anyone can provide me info about it? Particularly on its feasibility now, whether it can be used just like any of our films. It would be even better if you have taken photos with it.

Tried to google but sadly didn't have much info out there... Hopefully someone is able to enlighten me here! Advanced thanks :)

basically is a very low ISO tungsten balance color transparency film with lower contrast.

this is a special usage film, not a film that photographers will normally using it
it is design to make duplicate of slide films of any formats (from 35mm, 120 or large format), so it will not produce too high contrast images from the original.
since it is Ektachrome, it should be E-6 processing.

However, I came across a magazine article in 80's, the photographer use this film to shoot night cityscape, since it is tungsten balance and with lower contrast, it able to retain highlight and shadow details for the very contrasty lighting situation.

Hope this help.

I see a better picture now, so there is some use of it these days after all. I haven't used slide formats before, only color negatives and black and white hence I'm not sure of how to use it's duplicating functions.

Guess I'll either have to try using it as a normal film just like the 80s photographer you mentioned or sell it off to someone who needs it :D

I see a better picture now, so there is some use of it these days after all. I haven't used slide formats before, only color negatives and black and white hence I'm not sure of how to use it's duplicating functions.

Guess I'll either have to try using it as a normal film just like the 80s photographer you mentioned or sell it off to someone who needs it :D
you will need special set up to do the duplicate of film, and run some test.

3 rolls probably just enough to run the test if you are good at film photography.

and since it is a tungsten film, you will need 80 series of filters to do the colour temperature conversion, if you want to shoot under normal daylight.
again, 3 rolls is really not much to spend.

you will need special set up to do the duplicate of film, and run some test. 3 rolls probably just enough to run the test if you are good at film photography. and since it is a tungsten film, you will need 80 series of filters to do the colour temperature conversion, if you want to shoot under normal daylight. again, 3 rolls is really not much to spend.

Sounds like total Greek to me... I guess I'll just keep those films as souvenirs and stick to normal film photography. Thanks a lot for all these info, really cleared up my queries :)

Actually, while what catchlights said is totally correct, you can still pop it into your film camera and use it like any ordinary film. Just remember that the images will have lower contrast than usual slide film and it will have a very blue cast when on the final image. You can correct the blue cast by using a 85B filter, basically a very orange filter to simulate tungsten light. Since you have it, just give it a go. Keeping it is such a waste in my opinion, I'm sure you can find something interesting to do with it:)

Actually, while what catchlights said is totally correct, you can still pop it into your film camera and use it like any ordinary film. Just remember that the images will have lower contrast than usual slide film and it will have a very blue cast when on the final image. You can correct the blue cast by using a 85B filter, basically a very orange filter to simulate tungsten light. Since you have it, just give it a go. Keeping it is such a waste in my opinion, I'm sure you can find something interesting to do with it:)

I was around Peninsula and Adelphi area, managed to asked a few of the camera shop owners what they think of it. Some of them told me the chances of the film coming out completely black (due to the age, it expired in 1991) is high. Tempted to try what you and catchinglights said but just afraid that I'll waste money on it should it fail..

frankly, I will just throw it away, even if I found them in the refrigerator store inside for 20 years.

23 years is indeed long. Guess I won't be doing much with them. But if I do use it one day, I'll update you guys to see how it fares. Probably not very ideal. Thanks guys!

23 years is indeed long. Guess I won't be doing much with them. But if I do use it one day, I'll update you guys to see how it fares. Probably not very ideal. Thanks guys!

If you store in the freezer u might be able to use it, chances are quality may hv degraded,
the film speed is very slow, in the lab this roll was being place
on printer specially modified, 500w tungsten lamp, correction filters, have to make
few test to match the QC standard.

Before production commence. Kodak normally used their own Kodak correction filters.

To use on camera probably too complicated because of the many test/slow speed u hv to conduct
before u get a satisfactory results. E6 process.

Plus the inconvenient of the E6 Ektachrome film processing, answer not worth the troubles.