Leica X Typ 113

jiayeong

Mar 8, 2008
Singapore
Thinking of getting this camera (Leica X Typ 113). Going to be my first Leica. Placed my interest very early and received a call from Leica Orchard Ion that it has arrived since last Friday. Selling at $3200 camera only, no visoflex or casing.

Called both Max photo and Cathay, but they don't have stock yet.
My question is you guys usually buy from Leica boutique or from one of the reputable shops? Any difference in price or available freebies. Thanks.

I bought my M-P Typ 240 from Click and they struck a few hundred dollars off the retail price, gave me a copy of LFI magazine. That's about it.

OK thanks Kit for the info. I guess I will go ahead then, since they have a bundle promotion with visoflex and half case. Not that much though.

Got Leica X typ 113 last week. Also my first Leica camera. Ray from Leica Raffles Hotel is very friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

It seems that the camera is now getting bashed on some other forums, not a true f1.7 constant aperture!

The type 113 doesn't maintain an aperture size of f1.7 when the focusing distance from subject goes below approx 1.8m , going down to f2.8 when the distance goes below 1m even if the aperture setting is at f1.7.

That said I wouldn't see this as a reason to douse the type 113 in flames :) I'm getting the type 109 on my side lol.

I tried out the Typ 113 at Click! last weekend. The camera feels front heavy but the finishing is good, typical Leica. Focussing speed is average though. Controls and menu are simple enough for anyone with some photographic experience to navigate without referring to the manual. Its priced pretty close to the new Summarit 35mm. Hmmmmm do I need another camera or just buy the lens? Something I really didn't like about it is that exclusion of an EVF and it doesn't take the EVF-2 which I am using on the Typ 240. Got to get the Visoflex.

I have been using it for more than a week. Autofocus only slightly faster than my Fuji XE1. So I suspect it must be 'slower' than X100S and 'significantly slower' than X100T. When indoor/low light, it hunts, just like my XE1. :confused:

But even before getting this camera, I have already known I will get a slightly inferior autofocus and inferior ISO performance compared with similarly priced camera, like RX1. I was considering RX1R too, but I know in the near future I will still want a Leica, and that Leica in future will still be slightly inferior to Sony or Olympus cameras at similar price. In my opinion, buying a Leica actually fulfilled my 'want' rather than my photographic needs.

Leica has managed to build a reputation, quite close to Swiss watches. An automatic Swiss watch is likely less accurate than Citizen and Seiko, but a lot people still want it.

The other aspect, it is F1.7 only when the subject is at least 4 feet away (with my camera it is around 1.4m). I don't think Leica is 'lying' like mentioned by other forumers online but it is definitely trying to downplay that aspect. The minimum aperture issue was already stated and mentioned by one of the earliest Leica X tester, reviewer Jonathan Slack on its website; http://www.slack.co.uk/2014/Anna-Louisa.html

I guess anyone who wanted this camera would have read the 4-5 reviews available online. Yes, up till now, only 4-5 reviews on X Typ 113. And most of the reviews did mentioned it is not really F1.7 when the subject is less than 4 feet.

Have been using typ 113 for close to 2 months now. The experience gets better and better. The variable aperture at close distance is not an issue cos the bokeh at f2.8 is good enough. This is an easy to use camera with the shutter speed, aperture and manual focus controllable via external dials and focus ring. No need to go into the menu. In addition, the menu is straightforward and with only the essentials. Colour rendering of the images is gorgeous. Like the reds especially. Find the shutter release button needs more effort to trigger. Although the optional electronic viewfinder is big and not very pretty, one can see the image outside the viewfinder (through the side of the eyes) and wait for the right moment to take the photo when framing the composition. My wish list for the firmware update. Allow 1/3 stop shutter speed selection (although this can technically be done with the EV compensation dial). Allow more ISO choices (eg. ISO 1000). Allow the LCD screen to be turned off. Improve the speed of auto focus. Inclusion of focus peaking. Improve noise at higher ISO. Improve accuracy of auto focus.

Have been using typ 113 for close to 2 months now. The experience gets better and better. The variable aperture at close distance is not an issue cos the bokeh at f2.8 is good enough. This is an easy to use camera with the shutter speed, aperture and manual focus controllable via external dials and focus ring. No need to go into the menu. In addition, the menu is straightforward and with only the essentials. Colour rendering of the images is gorgeous. Like the reds especially. Find the shutter release button needs more effort to trigger. Although the optional electronic viewfinder is big and not very pretty, one can see the image outside the viewfinder (through the side of the eyes) and wait for the right moment to take the photo when framing the composition. My wish list for the firmware update. Allow 1/3 stop shutter speed selection (although this can technically be done with the EV compensation dial). Allow more ISO choices (eg. ISO 1000). Allow the LCD screen to be turned off. Improve the speed of auto focus. Inclusion of focus peaking. Improve noise at higher ISO. Improve accuracy of auto focus.

Regarding the shutter release button, I purchased an X2 some time back and experienced the same. I brought it back to the Leica service centre and they exchanged a new set. You might like to check with them if the button is faulty.

Thank you for sharing

Have been using the camera to take night shots for the past few weeks. The focusing tends to hunt in low light situations. The bokeh balls are nice and round. The colours are great too.

Photo of round bokeh balls using typ 113

Attachments

• $Leica X typ 113 bokeh balls (resize).jpg
    $Leica X typ 113 bokeh balls (resize).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 16
Like the colour rendering of this photo

Attachments

• $Leica X typ 113 depth of field (resize).jpg
    $Leica X typ 113 depth of field (resize).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 14
Night shot taken outside City Square Mall.

$Night shot 1.jpg

Night shot taken at Little India. Like about the vivid colours on the wooden windows are rendered.

$Night shot 2.jpg

Another night shot taken at Little India.

$Night shot 3.jpg

Photo of tricycle at Kelantan road. Has some of the 3D pop

$Night shot 4.jpg

Night shot of a cafe along Owen road

$Night shot 5.jpg

Bokeh taken at f7.1

$bokeh at f7.1.jpg