Need Advice for my SONY Alpha A330

joeyfoo

Sep 11, 2007
Hi ,

New to photography, bought a SONY alpha A330 from someone. Wanted to go travelling and take some great shots.

What kind of settings should i be adjusting for shots in Australia .
Where to find Wide Angle Lens (Cheap ) for this camera.

Thanks all
JF

Wide angle lens(10-20mm range) are not cheap. For travel, try sony 16-105mm. Look out at buy and sell section for resales.

Cannot advise u on settings. All depend on the scene and what u want to achieve.

Last edited:
For wide angle, consider the tokina 11-16mm f2.8

As for the settings, there are no fix settings as it depends on the lighting and situation

wide angle lens are not cheap,

Maybe u can state a budget so that we can make some lens suggestions based on that

As for settings, it depends on the situation. But generally, you can use the aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode to set your aperture/shutter speed accordingly and let the camera decide on the rest.

Maybe u can state a budget so that we can make some lens suggestions based on that

As for settings, it depends on the situation. But generally, you can use the aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode to set your aperture/shutter speed accordingly and let the camera decide on the rest.

agree with bro Photoart....

Normally when you travel you shoot landscape more than tele :) there are some good lens out there just depending on your budget those ultra wide lenses like 10-20, 11-16 these are around 600-800 in BnS and 16-105 is around 500-600 also

have you tried using your kit 14-55? do you find that 14mm is not wide enough? Also what you planning to take photo or your interest? cityscape? archetecture ot landscapes nature etc?

Or just leave it in Auto. But for the creative style you could set it to landscape, etc.

use your kit lens first (if it comes with it)... on settings; alot of video tutorials there...just google it :)

Go and read about
1) Aperture
2) Shutter
3) ISO

After you understand them.. Start shooting.. For the start you should try out AUTO... then slowly...try out with other modes. Have fun.

Hi ,

New to photography, bought a SONY alpha A330 from someone. Wanted to go travelling and take some great shots.

Thanks all
JF

Shoot in auto, you will not be concerned about settings, but you will realise that auto cannot get the shots you want all the time.

Shoot in manual, you will be forced to know how to read the metering bar, adjust aperture, adjust shutter speed, set iso, select metering mode --- aka getting full control of the camera.

Theres no formula to taking good pictures, you need to understand what the camera does and internalise that knowledge yourself.

Just play more and read more, thats all I can say

joeyfoo said:
Hi ,

Thanks all
JF

I can say I'm an 'expert' in A330 coz I used to own it for 2 years over. It travelled with me half the world.

It's a good body for beginners. I have used kit lens 18-55, prime and minolta lens with it.

Simple to use, no fancy stuff to fiddle with.

I would recommend you to get a constant 2.8 lens like tamron 17-50 to go with it. This combo will enable you to take landscape to portraits, with good low light ability and better noise control

17mm is decent for landscape. Rem to bring a tripod.

This body can handle decent noise up to 800 ISO. beyond it, u will see degrading pic quality due to noise creeping it.

So my advice is not to let the iso go beyond 800.

I believe constant 2.8 should keep the iso low enough.