Need some advice

Geraldineang

May 4, 2012
Hi, I am pretty new to photography despite I invested in a DSLR many years ago. I bought a Sony a57 and tried out some self taught photography skills when I go travel. Due to my busy schedule, I don’t travel as often, only once a year these days and I find it really heavy and inconvenient to carry the DSLR around during holidays. I am thinking of selling my DSLR away but I really like the high res photo taken but I can’t bare to let go my 1 and only DSLR

P/S: I am not a photography pro, sometimes I wonder if for people like me, I should just stick with a iPhone camera :( should I just keep the DSLR since I won’t be able to sell for much $$ for an old model? Or just sell it since I don’t use it often

Last edited:
The A57 is a few years old. If you haven't used it for a long time, sell it. Electronics dont last forever.

Besides the iPhone, renting a DSLR is always an option.

Agree that the Sony a57 is not worth much nowadays with it's age and Sony focusing more on the E-mount rather than a57's A-mount. So it's really up to you to decide if it's worth the space it takes up heh...

Nowadays smartphone camera resolution has increased and not far off from Sony a57's 16 megapixels. So if you are satisfied with your iphone shots, why not just use it since it's always with you? If bulk is a consideration but you want better quality then may want to consider the high end compacts using 1" sensors like Sony RX100 series, Canon G7X/G9X series, Panasonic LX10 or TZ100? Or still want option of changing lenses then there are many options, including Sony mirrorless E-mount systems and you might even use back your A-mount lenses with an adapter.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I should sell it.