[pinholecam] A week with ...... (random ramblings of a lens junkie) - 2015

20151025-DSC06818-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

Of course there is no such thing as a perfect lens so here are the cons.
Contrast is certainly lower than a more modern lens.
Not necessarily a bad thing since nowadays it's really added in post.
Flare resistance is lower with the older coatings and need to be watched out for.

The size starts to get big taking the size advantage.
It's still smallish though.
Just getting nearer to a SLR 50/1.7 to start getting a feeling that the size advantage is draining away.

Last edited:
I am sure there are other RF 50mm options out there that are as good if not better.
But certainly, in terms of cost, easy availability, all round utility, the Canon ltm 50.1.4 is certainly a case of it being right here waiting for me all the while.

Right here waiting by jenkwang, on Flickr

Last edited:
A week with a pancake

20151031-DSC06966-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The pancake 40mm has been in Pentax line on lenses for quite a while, with the original FF M40/2.8 in 1976.
This was followed up in 2004 with the DA limited 40/2.8, and a cheaper version in plastic construction called the DA40XS.

The DA40XS is not supposed to be a FF lens, though it certainly has its roots in a FF lens.
I think its certainly not tested in factory up to FF specs or coverage since the company has never acknowledged it to be a FF lens.

But this lens is such an attractive option to use that I certainly can't pass up on using it on FF to see how it works out.

I saw this image and the architecture of the building got me thinking about other buildings in SG and then earthquakes. I learned something new...you guys don't have earthquakes. :)

Thanks bro.

20151031-DSC06903-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The monthly Pentax outing was a good chance to take the lens out for a spin.
I wanted to keep everything small, so the DA40XS is superb for this.

How small is the lens? (or rather how flat?)
15mm
Yes, probably the smallest one out there with AF.
Its one of the reasons I'd like to use this lens, being almost negligible in encumbrance.
Like attaching a body cap to the camera.

Last edited:
20151031-DSC06924 by jenkwang, on Flickr

This is a surprisingly good apps-c lens on FF coverage.
Wide open, its already very usable, sharp in the center, sharp enough on the off center (ie. rules of thirds area).
This is better than quite a few 40, 35mm RF lens options at f2.8 on the A7.
The corners are weak, and only improves somewhat at f11, which is the only reminder that this lens was not speced to FF image circle.
However, as can be seen from the landscape shot, in practical use, it may not matter that much.
The far corners are easily cropped off with a 5x7 aspect ratio anyway.

Last edited:
20151031-DSC06962 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Again, more trying out of not just using a UWA for landscape/cityscapes.
A good compression of the scene vs just using a UWA, and the very good detail many such 35-50mm lenses can give stopped down.

Images are certainly punchy to me.
Very well drawn in focus subject with strong contrasts.

20151031-DSC06950 by jenkwang, on Flickr

This lens is simply a joy to use.
The compact size is almost totally negligible, yet it provides a very good FOV for a walkabout lens. (between a 35mm and 50mm).

Bokeh seems rather well controlled imo.
Nothing too wild here.

20151031-DSC06953 by jenkwang, on Flickr

From the more open streets of Little India with the longer engagement distance between subject and photographer, to the narrow confines of the bazaar, the 40mm focal length does prove itself to be rather niffy.
I can understand why some photographers prefer this focal length, being a bit wider to get the context of the shot while not being 35mm type wide where it can be a bit harder to 'keep the image simple' by not adding in too many elements.
That little bit longer FL also gives a little more 'comfort distance' between human subjects and photographer for those who may feel getting in close with a 35mm is a bit too near.
Add that in with a decent close focus ability and negligible size its a wonderful walkabout lens.

20151031-DSC06956 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Its been a joy this week using the DA40XS pancake lens during the monthly Pentax outing.
Certainly glad that all I was carrying was the camera w/ lens slung over my shoulder and the 14mm with clamp in my waist pouch.
Simple and effective imo.

A week with an old bike

Raleigh MV8 SP by jenkwang, on Flickr

My commute bike in its original white color scheme was such a pain to keep clean.
Every ride, it'd get dirty and wiping smeared any stain/grease and made it even more work.
A commute for me had to be lower maintenance, so I decided to give my bike a makeover.

It had to stick to its basic goals.
1. Inexpensive (so no costly, fancy stuff) - due to lower maintenance and possibility of theft
2. Functional - enough gears/speed to give a training effect for the faster weekend rides I do.
3. Look better than now - wasn't hard to do given the state of the bike

Basically, decided on a vintage look, keeping most of the stock parts and/or using inexpensive ones, all while having everything work, with a kick of speed if I needed it.

When I started this lens for the 'A lens a week', it seemed to come to me that a lot about this lens was like the requirements for my bike.

20151112-DSC07937 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Raleigh as a bike brand has a long history.
In fact, its one of the oldest bike companies in the world.
Sadly, today, its only representation locally is 'cheapo'/market bikes.

Who still remembers the Raleigh RSW, Twenty, Chopper or Raleigh Sport?
Its race bikes in the 70s-80s?

The good thing though, it seems its getting back on its feet with still cheap bikes, but ones that have moved slightly upwards to rather nice affordable foldables, MTB, commutes.

20151115-DSC08030 by jenkwang, on Flickr
"Cycled around to take more picts on the Sunday. Fresh cool morning air in Nov, always so nice"

The Pentax Takumar 135/3.5 has been with me for quite a while.
But honestly, I was never inclined to shoot with it much on apsc.
135mm on apsc was just too long a working distance for my needs/liking.
The max aperture of f3.5 coupled with the longer subject distance to the the framing, just did not provide me the shallow DOF isolation that I liked.

However, on FF, this lens comes to life for me.
Nicely made, buttery smooth focus (if one is familiar with this on the Takumars), not too big (though longish).
Pleasantly sharp enough from wide open and consistent in the bokeh w/o anything too funny in the OOF.
The working distance on FF closes up to about 1.5x less that of aps-c for the same framing and thats a big difference for this long FL for my needs.

23014667892_1bcaf288fb_b.jpg
Nice JK. I love the 135. Nice ride too. Raleigh had one of the early legendary BMXers but I don't recall his name right now. We saw only a few Raleigh bikes over here in my neighborhood but they were there and they were deluxe. Reminds me of climbing up on my beartraps and platforms on 185mm Redline Flite cranks back in the day... When I lived in the city I road everyday of my life bro. When I drove I drove a black 1968 Firebird which was pretty cool too. Those were the days... :)

Nice JK. I love the 135. Nice ride too. Raleigh had one of the early legendary BMXers but I don't recall his name right now. We saw only a few Raleigh bikes over here in my neighborhood but they were there and they were deluxe. Reminds me of climbing up on my beartraps and platforms on 185mm Redline Flite cranks back in the day... When I lived in the city I road everyday of my life bro. When I drove I drove a black 1968 Firebird which was pretty cool too. Those were the days... :)

Thanks.

Brands just come and go over time.
Now over here, its just a cheap bicycle brand.... unfortunately...

20151115-DSC08039-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Lens info
49mm filter thread
Weight : 343g
Dimensions : 59.5mmx87.5mm
4 elements/ 4 groups

The triplet lens (ie. 3 elements, 3 groups) design was developed in 1894 and its simplicity and good correction proved to be a very popular lens design for a long time.
The Ernostar lens design scheme is a derivative of this simple triplet layout by Ludwig Bertele in 1923 which improved angle of view and max aperture of the lens. (f6.8-f4.5 were more common in those days for a triplet)

When I learned of the Ernostar lens design, I was intrigued, so I looked up the list of lenses that used this design.
Since its such an old design, not many newer lenses use it.
The ones I could find were either very rare, pricey, limited utility or oddball mount (eg. Contarex 180/2.8; Konica M Hexanon 90/2.8; Rollei Sonnar 85/2.8)

So I was indeed pleasantly surprised when I relooked at the lens scheme of this Super Takumar and found that I had an Ernostar lens all along.
Another case of looking far and wide but not at home. :)

20151115-DSC08056 by jenkwang, on Flickr

f3.5 on a 135mm on FF, does make this lens a smaller more portable long reach and portrait lens.
Still retaining rather good isolation effect.
Since I cycled around for this "a lens a week" using a small bag, with at most 2 lenses, this did make some difference in terms of packing the small bag for it.

Bokeh is certainly consistent in almost all situations I used the Super Takumar 135/3.5, not bad at all.

If there is a thing to look out for, its usability in weaker light.
A gloomy day at 5.30-6pm, can quickly drop the shutter speed too much on a f3.5 lens and the A7 isn't very smart about it, always sticking to 1/60 shutter speed in A mode.
So one has to be conscious of the shutter speed and either use M or S mode to get around it.

Last edited:

20151113-DSC079450-BW-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

This lens is like the bike I just redid.
Just like the Raleigh brand, the Pentax (the first Japanese SLR maker)as well as its Takumar series of lenses have fallen on the wayside in this age.
Nowadays, its just associated with being a budget kind of lens option.
Who remembers the 60's-70's heyday of the brand and the Takumars?

Those Takumar lenses which the Japanese in the infancy of the industry put in a lot of effort in the build/quality and trying to come up with their own designs.
In fact, the Super Takumar 135/3.5 is often the option that will be mentioned in any legacy lens 135mm discussion over which old 135mm is a good choice.
Yet, I see so little being mentioned of this lens here.

20151115-DSC08036 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Its been a refreshing week with the Super Takumar 135/3.5.
Quite unlike a faster 135mm, which is also larger and heavier, I had no qualms taking it out on the bike.
The result of this was some sprinkling of landscape type shots with a long lens as well as the usual more isolative shots via lower DOF.

Certainly the long lens that has quickly become a 'grab and go' choice for me.

A week re-learning an old focal length

The water keeper by jenkwang, on Flickr

In the film days, my widest was 28mm.
That was what was on my kit lens and that was the widest on my 28-200mm and later a 28-75mm.

It served well in those early days as a travel focal length.
A "I was here" type of focal length and shots to record the few travels I could afford.

The main problem with it then (film) was that I could not get any wider if the situation did not allow me to move any further back.
Eventually, a solution was found in that I would take many frames, print them in 4R and paste them together.
Patchy of course, but surprisingly effective for me to look at it an be reminded of the scale of the place I had been to.