[pinholecam] A week with ...... (random ramblings of a lens junkie) - 2015

I am back on board your thread sir...probably my favorite thread here. I love old glass. Thanks again senior for taking the time to educate us! :)

Thanks for the support.
Glad that the little info here will be useful.

A week with the Nokton Voigtlander 35/1.4

When I first got hold of this lens, my exclamation was "So small!"
Its really hard to believe the size of this thing, coming from using SLR lenses.
35mm and a large aperture of f1.4, at the size of hmm.. I can't even easily find a lens near it in size to provide a reference.
Ok, maybe near to a 2/3 the size of a Canon EF 50/1.8. (Yes, its f1.4 and a wider 35mm at that)

Lets get the data out of the way first :
8 elements, 6 groups
10 aperture blades
Length of lens : 2.85cm
Filter size : 43mm
Close focus : 0.7m

So something's gottta give, right?

20150214-DSC09014-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Lets hold the cons for a while.
The pros.
When its right, its 35mm wide FOV with a good shallower DOF which gives a nice exaggerated spatial relation between in focus and OOF.
(as see in the pict above)

20150222-DSC09472-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20150222-DSC09481-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Central sharpness is very good right from f1.4.
This coupled with the main "Con" of this lens, the lack of sharpness on the off center works to emphasize the central in-focus area.
The result is an emphasized 'pop' in the images at large aperture settings.

As for the sharpness off center, its really a factor of A7 thick sensor stack, lens field curvature and lens design.

20150222-DSC09511-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Flare tolerance isn't that great. (this is the Multi-coated version)
Coupled with a close focusing helicoid adapter, it does provide a more versatile usage when there is a need for close-ups.
Of course SLR lenses are better in this respect, as they can get even close to near 1:2,1:1 levels compared to RF lenses which have a longer minimum close focusing distance.

20150222-DSC09494-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20150222-DSC09489-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Bokeh is often a mixed bag and entirely subjective as with all lenses.
The CV35/1.4 does give bokeh that to me is full of character (as can be seen above)
Some spherical abberations, and optical vignetting which gives a bit of a swirl to OOF highlights.
Some hint of busy-ness..... (though we can also call all smooth as all 'bland') ;)
Some folks complain and ask for 'the best' (bokeh cream maker; Whats 'best' anyway for something subjective?), I simply prefer to use it to its strength, which I think the CV35 has lots.

Last edited:
Great use of the lens, JK! Excellent shots too!

Great use of the lens, JK! Excellent shots too!

Thanks Bernard, I need to find some time to get out to shoot more though....

20150214-DSC09024-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Few random thoughts here with the lens for a week on the A7.
That thick sensor stack is just not ideal for most RF lenses 35mm and under (and even some 50mms).
I would have signed up my camera for a sensor stack mod (almost $700 after ship) to see if it resolves the off center sharpness problems, but due to the high risk of the replacement cover glass corroding (very high chance as Singapore has a RH of 85% and more almost year round! ), its really very risky.

Still contemplating the idea though, maybe keeping the camera in a ziploc and silica gel when in the bag and as often as possible in a dry cab when not in use.....
The CV35/1.4 is one such lens that makes me consider the mod just to get it working as near to its best (on digital) as can be short of a pricey Leica M9 (also with risk of cover glass corrosion btw).

The other way round is to use the lenses that 'work' (eg CV12; CV21/1.8 ).

So near yet so far it seems (for the RF lenses on A7).

All said though, the CV35/1.4 Nokton is a nice small lens to use (warts and all).
Low encumbrance, fast aperture for either shallow DOF type shots or low light.
Not expensive too.
I just wished off center would be better on the A7.
No hesitations to use as a 'character lens' much like the Canon ltm 35/1.8 I talked about here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475299&p=9037978&viewfull=1#post9037978

Last edited:
can see you do have quite a feel for the CV35/1.4 ;) The pop is indeed attractive though i do find the defocus areas quite busy.

can see you do have quite a feel for the CV35/1.4 ;) The pop is indeed attractive though i do find the defocus areas quite busy.

Indeed it is for the bokeh.
Its the thing that is generally polarizing about this lens.
Some like it and others just don't.

Color also plays a part imo, with BnW taking away a bit of the OOF highlights distractions.
It also appears weaker in the bokeh for foliage compared to more urban settings. (MHO)
I really only touched the surface here with the exploration of the lens within one week.
Certainly the old recommendation that one should at least stick to a lens for a month rings true IMO.

A week with the SMC Takumar 55/1.8

20150227-DSC09547-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Weight : 201g
Filter Dia : 49mm
6 elements / 5 groups.
M42 mount

This is a smallish lens.
M42 mount and very common as it came with most Pentax Spotmatics in its heyday.
A very long run in various versions from 1958-1972.
My copy is the 1972 version with rubberized focus ring.

20150227-DSC09536-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

If there is a contender in my books for good and cheap, this lens may well be in the front.
Why?
Small - so highly portable
Well made and smooth damped focusing
Fast at f1.8 max aperture
Sharp enough at wide open and reliably sharp at stopped down apertures
Real cheap and common
M42 mount that can be adapted on many systems
Nice bokeh and enough aperture blades/shape to generally avoid hexagonal oof highlights which is common on so many cheap 50's.

Infant City by jenkwang, on Flickr

Generally, as with most SLR 50mm lenses on the A7, no issues wide open or stopped down.
I find that this is still the key advantage of SLR lenses on the A7 system over RF options (many of which can still suffer from edge sharpness issues on this system)
It does help that this lens is 'smallish' so its it forms a pretty nice setup on the camera.
The 55mm does not exaggerate perspective, it seems less often used over here in S'pore as a 'landscape' lens.
Perhaps our cramped confines of the city does not allow for and/or the generally younger shooters we have here tend to go for a more exaggerated style which is better expressed with a UWA.
No right or wrong, just a pondering of it when I view picts here as compared to a site like FM forums (generally older folks and larger spaces )

20150227-DSC09551-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Maybe I should explore shooting the environment more with a 50-55mm to see what can be turned out.....

The 55mm does not exaggerate perspective, it seems less often used over here in S'pore as a 'landscape' lens.
Perhaps our cramped confines of the city does not allow for and/or the generally younger shooters we have here tend to go for a more exaggerated style which is better expressed with a UWA.
No right or wrong, just a pondering of it when I view picts here as compared to a site like FM forums (generally older folks and larger spaces )

Maybe I should explore shooting the environment more with a 50-55mm to see what can be turned out.....

I feel the uniqueness of your city state provides the photographer with the opportunity to make unique photography. It likely lends itself well for compositions at just about any focal length. As far as the 50 standard normal type of lens maybe the youngsters feel that is old hat nowadays? :dunno:

CS is a great board with outstanding work from a great many members...very strong well supported the grit is palpable...maybe even more "switched on" than some of those other sites if you will. But that probably has a lot to do with your unique culture too.

Maybe it is only that members from some of those other forums haven't discovered CS or Singapore yet! :think:

Maybe it is only that members from some of those other forums haven't discovered CS or Singapore yet! :think:
There's a lot of truth in it. Once one lives in an area for longer time, one tend to get 'blind' towards many things because one sees it every day. It needs the eye of someone unfamiliar with the place to highlight again the uniqueness and beauty. Or: one has to revisit places after some time to change perspective.

I feel the uniqueness of your city state provides the photographer with the opportunity to make unique photography. It likely lends itself well for compositions at just about any focal length. As far as the 50 standard normal type of lens maybe the youngsters feel that is old hat nowadays? :dunno:

My thoughts are that in a more tightly spaced place like S'pore, where one may not be able to 'step back' to get a wider view with a longer FL, we tend to go for the perspective exaggeration of a UWA.
Places overseas have vast landscapes, a view from a hilltop to another for example and a UWA tends to push those too far, especially if there is lack of a foreground.
So in those environments, the folks then to want some compression in perspective and can often make do with a 24mm, 28mm as the widest lens.
Just random musing on it...

There's a lot of truth in it. Once one lives in an area for longer time, one tend to get 'blind' towards many things because one sees it every day. It needs the eye of someone unfamiliar with the place to highlight again the uniqueness and beauty. Or: one has to revisit places after some time to change perspective.

Indeed.
I look at any photo of even a small town overseas and it immediately catches my interest.
The guy who took it on the other hand wished he could catch some big city shots that we can have access to so easily.

20150228-DSC09569-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

There is a 'quirk' to the 55mm FL to me.
Though its really only 5mm difference to the usual 50mm lens, I tend to find that it lends itself nicely to portraits (both on APSC and FF).

On the other hand, I get an impression of a more tightly framed view and 'shyish' woking distance when it comes to street/candids.
By Right, its only 5mm difference, but very strange that I seem to notice it sub-consciously.

20150227-DSC09531-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Perhaps I end this "A week with ... " with a satay shot as it best represents my feeling about the SMC Takumar 55/1.8

20150227-DSC09539-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Cheap and :thumbsup: :D

A week with a fresh perspective (with an old lens)

20150308-DSC09712-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr
It must have been A Killing Joke.....
Too bad I did not use a helicoid adapter for this one.
Just don't know where taking a camera out most of the time will bag you...

This is more of a "A day with... " rather than a true a week with.
Why?
Well, I was lacking in time to shoot with the lens over the week, so all the shots squeezed onto a Sunday.
However, I do hope it shows off a good coverage of the lens for the week.

An old
Soligor 17/4

M42 mount
72mm filter diameter

Wish I had more info to share on this lens, but thats it.
There is just so little on it over the internet.
In fact, I am perhaps one of the more active user of this lens in the English speaking side of the internet who posts photos with it.

The lens is built like a grenade with heft to match.
A real mass of metal.
Only flimsy feeling part of it is the aperture ring which seems to be plastic (or is it aluminium? )

I suspect that since this is Soligor (a 3rd party seller of old days), this lens might be a rebadged Tokina RMC 17/3.5.
Some parts of it do look similar, which is why I suspect it.

So how does one use an old 17mm as a walkabout lens?
No fast aperture, very wide FOV, old coatings.....
A departure for my usual reliance on the above and a very fresh perspective imho!

20150308-DSC09652-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr
First shot of the Sunday.
Sensor reflection is not kind on the A7 for sure, but at least light sources are distant enough to be not as bothersome.

Last edited:

20150308-DSC09671-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Not only did this "A week with ... " thread make me use each lens I have more, I feel that it made me look around a bit more too.
Did not even know this sculpture existed in Bishan Park even though I have been there quite a few times (usually moving past it rather fast so.. perhaps I missed it before)

Generally, its surprising that its often easy to play "lens expert" by playing the "Negative guy", the "Rejection Expert".
"This lens is great if you like CA Rainbows"
"Sharpness is far from my (insert brand name of choice) which is nothing but excellent"
etc
etc

How about trying to be a "Lens Lover" instead?
Its really not much trouble dealing with CA in post (just the click of a button in fact).
Same with distortion with the right profile (or as a preset)
It seems to me as a casual shooter that the confluence of camera o/p quality (eg. DR, MP ) and Post Processing algorithms have reduced many such issues (for the casual shooter).
There is also the aspect of trying to know one's lens better and using it to its ability/weaknesses and appreciating it more.
I'd rather take this route than the "Rejection Expert".

DSC09615-2400-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

20150308-DSC09671-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Not only did this "A week with ... " thread make me use each lens I have more, I feel that it made me look around a bit more too.
Did not even know this sculpture existed in Bishan Park even though I have been there quite a few times (usually moving past it rather fast so.. perhaps I missed it before)

Nice, I shld drop by Bishan Park sometime, seems like quite a few angles there

Nice, I shld drop by Bishan Park sometime, seems like quite a few angles there

Yes, quite a few angles possible from there and thats not even including Sunset.
There was 2 other photographers in this location too on that day.

20150308-DSC09705-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

This is not a flare resistant lens.
So its always good to find out during regular use and try to avoid direct Sunlight situations.
Sharpness is surprisingly usable centrally wide open.
Stopped down, f8-f11, its generally ok except for some hint of softness in the last 2/10 of the frame.
Distortion is there certainly as with most legacy UWA.
In fact, many modern (usually the mirrorless ones) options are as bad or worse but hide it well with integrated corrections upon lens model detection.
I did not shoot any scenes where the distortion was hugely apparent though.
Its also somewhat correctable by shooting a scene with lines and then playing around with the LR lens distortion profiles to get a model that 'fits'; then fine tune it with the distortion slider. (I save that as a preset after that)

20150308-DSC09699-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr
The children shots with a UWA, a departure from the usual focal lengths I use.
So its a fresh angle/perspective/usage for me.

20150308-DSC09692-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Going up close with a UWA.
Lots more context with the surroundings being visible

Even though this lens is old, weakness to flare, etc, its surprising that it holds its own even now.
Holds it own as in the relevance to being able to take photos on a 24mp FF and no glaring un-usability.
I'd list its main cons as flare resistance and weight.
For the price I got it, no real complaints.

Main thing for me using the lens for the week was its difference in usage and perspective.
It certainly made me use it differently from the regular fast aperture and/or normal focal lengths and refresh the mind on usage and angles.

Last edited: