Print 20" x 30" photo taken by D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonk

Feb 4, 2005
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on the follow:

If I want to print a image taken by D70, and the size is 20" x 30".

Is this possible ? What should be the resolution be ?

Should the workflow be -
- Raw
- convert to tiff
- sent for print ?

btw, I am not sure if I posted this in the right forum ?

Thanks if any can give good advice on this.
Cheers

dragonk said:
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on the follow:

If I want to print a image taken by D70, and the size is 20" x 30".

Is this possible ? What should be the resolution be ?

Should the workflow be -
- Raw
- convert to tiff
- sent for print ?

btw, I am not sure if I posted this in the right forum ?

Thanks if any can give good advice on this.
Cheers

yep. dats abt it. IIRC, another nikon user told me preferably sent in ur pic as 300dpi to the printer. woah... 20x30 gonna cost u a bomb... it must be a really precious pic. :thumbsup:

I did a 20"by 30" once using my D70. Sent it to fotohub at raffles place. Did it in 300dpi in the exact size. Should you want to frame it, I would suggest the framemaker in sunset way near grace digital. Quite cheap there as compared to alot of places.

gnipihz said:
I did a 20"by 30" once using my D70. Sent it to fotohub at raffles place. Did it in 300dpi in the exact size. Should you want to frame it, I would suggest the framemaker in sunset way near grace digital. Quite cheap there as compared to alot of places.

mind sharing the price you paid for printing such size? ;p

My workflow:

RAW--> jpg (good quality)-->e-mail to shop-->collect next day.

Did a few 20 x 30 this way. Cos shop person told me that to print photo, only need 72dpi. If you send as 300 dpi, will get downsized anyway. And takes up e-mail space.

jamestan said:
My workflow:

RAW--> jpg (good quality)-->e-mail to shop-->collect next day.

Did a few 20 x 30 this way. Cos shop person told me that to print photo, only need 72dpi. If you send as 300 dpi, will get downsized anyway. And takes up e-mail space.
?? are you talking about commercial inkjet print, or photography paper print?

if i'm not wrong the price for the print can be found on fotohub website. ard $80 to 90 if i can remember correctly

Thank guys for yr advice,

I am actually sending a image to test for print. and this is the first time I am doing it also on a 20" x 30". So just ask to confirm

I plan to print on Kodak paper, which from where I ask, it will cost me ard $78.00

Nt too sure if Inkjet paper can last a long time compare to Kodak paper ?

So, the dpi shd be 300 dpi, convert to Tiff... so I also assume I re-size the image to 20" x 30" if I am using photoshop, as the same to 4R.

Thanks guys once again.

ok so you guys say that you give the shop a file at 300 dpi. so a 20" x 30" will be 6000 x 9000 pixels? straight from raw from a D70? am i missing a step or 2 somewhere?

Resize image yourself using Photoshop CS if you can. 240ppi for a 20"x30" print is a total of 4800x7200 pixels, set to bicubic smoother. Unsharp mask as necessary.

Save a copy in tiff and another jpg Q10.
You can send the jpeg to the lab.

In my experience, the prints from an archival print machine like the Epson 2200 lasts far longer than the Kodak lab print. The kodak print will fade (slightly) due to light exposure in about 3-5 years.

This is just based on my own experience.
Hope it helps.

icebooke said:
Resize image yourself using Photoshop CS if you can. 240ppi for a 20"x30" print is a total of 4800x7200 pixels, set to bicubic smoother. Unsharp mask as necessary.

Save a copy in tiff and another jpg Q10.
You can send the jpeg to the lab.

In my experience, the prints from an archival print machine like the Epson 2200 lasts far longer than the Kodak lab print. The kodak print will fade (slightly) due to light exposure in about 3-5 years.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the advice.

showtime said:
ok so you guys say that you give the shop a file at 300 dpi. so a 20" x 30" will be 6000 x 9000 pixels? straight from raw from a D70? am i missing a step or 2 somewhere?
Hee.. well of course I think I need to convert RAW to Jpeg or direct RAW to Tiff.
Thanks for the remind...

Hi guys,

Just wondering, If I don't shoot in raw. I shoot in Fine Large, Can I still achieve gd sharp 20" X 30" photo print out?

Any one try before?

Regards

icebooke said:
Possibly, if you use the finest glass.
If the composition and subject is excellent, enlargements will still be fine.
You can easily print to 2mx3m. ;)

Then if that's the case, what is the bare minimum resolution that you can go to for printing (both labs and home printers)?

icebooke, care to share your workflow for printing large prints from jpgs?

catchlights said:
?? are you talking about commercial inkjet print, or photography paper print?

Its photography paper printing. Shop's in IKEA. Photos printed are rather good.

icebooke said:

Hope it helps.

I have KODAK Royal paper's prints from 10 years ago and they look fine... Just don't store in area of high sunlight exposure

there is a 10 yrs old photo of my mum and me standing on my cabinet printed on kodak Edge paper only,colors still very nice !

my workflow of enlargements are to shoot in raw--->convert to Tiff----> upsize in PS accordingly and USM etc..

printed a 40+cm by 1.1m duratrans for a food stall along katong,they were very happy with it !

Status
Not open for further replies.