Rumored full frame

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
When I asked a friend last weekend whether he was keen to buy the X-Pro1, he said No, he was waiting for the new full frame model.

Internet says rumor.

But it seems logical progress for Fuji. After all, Sony did with A7 & A7R for so long already. And before that, Leica did it with M9 although at very high price.

What surprises me is that Canon & Nikon have failed to do a mirrorless full frame; when both have such a huge user base.

They are happy sitting on their laurels. They dont see a need to invest so much in mirrorless anyway, not when people are still buying DSLRs by the truckloads.

Sony's A3000 was probably a move by Sony to appeal to the Americans who think that the more pro a camera looks, the better images it takes. (Except for a QX100). That itself tells of how much trouble the manufacturers who have invested so much in mirrorless camera production lines are in, or at least have to overcome.

It's telling how even the Fuji guys are wishing Canikon are investing or promoting mirrorless more, just to increase awareness in this style of cameras.

I always wonder..... Why do some people think that moving to FF is a PROGRESSION?

Was keeping quiet until these words of wisdom came in. Fuji uses the X-Trans sensor, in that sense alone it's not a proper to compare against the standard Bayer type sensors found in other brands to start with if we are talking about sizes.

Unless it's a movement of X Trans II to X Trans FF then it's a diff case.

Was keeping quiet until these words of wisdom came in. Fuji uses the X-Trans sensor, in that sense alone it's not a proper to compare against the standard Bayer type sensors found in other brands to start with if we are talking about sizes. Unless it's a movement of X Trans II to X Trans FF then it's a diff case.

Its all about mindset. Existing X users do look forward to an ff x trans sensor.

I always wonder.....

Why do some people think that moving to FF is a PROGRESSION?

Isn't this what the marketing folks of the Canons and Nikons are making us believe? :D

I believe lens technology is still a limit for full frame mirrorless. IMO it really depends how soon they can developed smaller and fast lens for full frame mirrorless or how soon they can developed a aps-c sensor which has equally good DR and ISO capability as ff which allow ISO >6400 in raw format.

If fujifilm stand firm on their stand, they will not neglect the current users. Having said that, which company would put customer first and profit last?

Last edited:
Its all about mindset. Existing X users do look forward to an ff x trans sensor.

I believe lens technology is still a limit for full frame mirrorless.

After experiencing the A7R, I'm not sure if its worth looking forward to anymore. For now, I'd say stick with DSLRs/Rangefinders if you need/want FF.

Isn't this what the marketing folks of the Canons and Nikons are making us believe? :D

There is a legit need for FF but its just different. That's why I don't see it as a progression. If they start making T/S lenses for mirrorless APS-C systems, think I would swop my D800E and PC-E lenses for them.

I am not complaining about aps-c sensor or looking forward to ff, but feel that it is still a need to improve on current sensor. I have gave up ff for aps-c too.

I am not complaining about aps-c sensor or looking forward to ff, but feel that it is still a need to improve on current sensor. I have gave up ff for aps-c too.

They also need to create new product to attract FF users...

Abondoned Canon n Sony for Fuji, done with ff. Surely there are some difference in IQ or Bokeh but the difference are not so large as people tend believe.

Every format (that includes FF) is a compromise, FF is not always PROGRESSION

Then they jolly well make sure their lenses are up to scratch.

I have faith in Fuji in regards to their lenses.

Then they jolly well make sure their lenses are up to scratch.

Not few brands can boast of having lenses that crack the floor tiles when dropped , Fuji can.

When I asked a friend last weekend whether he was keen to buy the X-Pro1, he said No, he was waiting for the new full frame model.

Internet says rumor.

But it seems logical progress for Fuji. After all, Sony did with A7 & A7R for so long already. And before that, Leica did it with M9 although at very high price.

What surprises me is that Canon & Nikon have failed to do a mirrorless full frame; when both have such a huge user base.
Wait till the APS-C organic sensor is launched commercially. My guess is there will be one with 24MP for greater speed and one with 50MP for high resolution giving medium format users a good run for their money.

Nothing wrong with liking old technology. Just like I keep and admire film cameras.

But the progress of science & technology mixed with good old capitalism will make new and better products that new generations of consumers want to buy.

A manufacturing company cannot stand still. It has employees to pay. Shareholders to satisfy. It has to make products that new consumers buy to make a profit.

Whether the company's existing products are good enough (in any particular user's opinion) is not the point.

For example, I am happy with my obsolete Lumix DMC F-1 (3.2 MP) and think it is pretty good. But that did not (and should not) stop Panasonic from making better and newer digital cameras. And soon Panasonic will introduce a winner - GH4 with good video capability.

What a few consumers think is inconsequential to the manufacturer. Over the years they will be making future products for tens or hundreds of millions of future buyers worldwide, of their new products.

Realistically, we cannot expect Fuji to stagnate. For example, 20 years later in 2034, Fuji is still making APS-C mirrorless digital cameras --- based on the theory that APS-C is good enough and there is no need to make full frame mirrorless.

Last edited:
Leica S is good. Why stop at FF? :bsmilie:

I think Fuji not intending to compete w Nikon canon in the professional area. FF wld be a plus but not a dying need.

The success if Fuji is small and neat. For travel, street use.

FF glass is rather heavy.