Sharing my research on ::DRY CABINETS.::

Just thought I'll input an update: CP is having an offer for Akarui dry cabinets now at this link

After reading the TS's detailed thread (which is very thoughtful and insightful, thank you!), I have a question about Akarui's dry cabinets - are they of analog or digital control (ExxD series)?
I can't seem to find any information online about Akarui's dry cabinets (unlike Digi-Cabi, AIPO, etc.), other than prices.

Thanks in advance!

Judging by the pic on CP website, it looks like analog. The meter is circle, usually that means it is analog. But I am only guessing. I will have to a look when I visit CP.

Just to share my experience.

To the folks using the analogue dry cabs, there is a shortcut to the initial startup period. What i did unintentionally was to turn on the air-conditioner in my room where the dry-cab is situated. I have a digital RH meter separately, so I noticed that the RH went down to around 50% when the air-con is on. After loading the dry cab and closing the door, it went down to 45%RH within 15 minutes. After that, tuning it was not hard. I got my dry cab stable at 43-45%RH within the 24 hrs after receiving it. Hope this helps!

My dad is using the largest Akarui (the huge one, 170-L I think)- yes he has tons of gear, he ran out of room in his dry cab. And I got the Digi-Cabi AD series. Both are analogue control. The Akarui has 2 sections, a 70 or 80 Liter section on top and a larger one below. They are totally separated with their own doors and their own dehumidifiers. So the Akarui should be drawing around 10W and the digi-cabi is drawing 5W. We always had a dry cab in the house for many years. The 1st one, also Akarui, 100-L one I think, broke down on us after 10+ years of use. The Akarui has analogue RH meters, and the Digi-cab has a digital RH meter.

One thing to note, my personal RH meter, which is a more accurate piece of equiment, is also placed inside my Digi-cab, it's reading is always 2-3% less than Digi-cab's. Then again, they are in different location in the dry cab.

Hi All,

Just got my dry cabi yesterday. Setting it up was a breeze. In an hour or two, the dry cabi stablizes at the set RH% value. Happy with my new dry cabi. Thanks again TS for good info.
No "run-in" required for mine. =)

Cheers,
Jay

great info...

Thank you TS for your very informative thread. I'm planning to buy my first dry cabinet, and this thread has saved me many hours of research.

As this is the first time getting a dry cabinet i'm not sure how big i should get, after a short search on Yahoo, I have found this thread from a Malaysia forum which have clearer pics of how the AIPO dry cabinet can store your gears.
http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53249

I have checked the Promo price for DigiCab.

It for Analog Series with Digital Display. NOT a DIGITAL Series

Extract from another website:

Just got my Digi Cabi last Saturday in KLPF. DHC-100, a 100 liters digital control dry box. Haven't use it yet, it's to replace my current 30++ liter analog (dunno what brand) dry box.

Should get something with digital control if u can afford it. I ran out of spaces in my old box... too many lenses... and I am beginning to put other stuffs inside other than my camera stuffs.

I mean this is probably not so much of a big deal to some people lar.

I asked the seller who sold me the Digi Cabi, what's the difference btw Aipo and Digi Cabi. Why Digi Cabi is more expensive than Aipo.

He pulled a "competitor" dry box (same design as Aipo) out from behind and made a few comparisons.

1) Digi Cabi is from Singapore, not sure of the made though, but he pointed out it's easier for warranty service (5 years warranty btw) even if there's no more agents in Malaysia to service it.

2) He gave a knock on the "competitor" and Digi Cabi... Competitor (ahem Aipo) gave a more hollow sound while Digi Cabi gave a more solid sound. This means the metal sheets that made the competitor dry box is thinner and not as solid compare to Digi Cabi.

3) He asked me to feel the competitor gauge/digital controller and can feel the circuitry is exposed, while the Digi Cabi is sealed in a plastic mold

4) Competitor runs on an AC Adapter plug which he claims probably last about 5 years or so, Digi cabi runs on normal Computer Cable (which is also the same that we used in electric plastic kettle), so it is kinda safer.

5) To send for warranty, instead of sending to entire dry box, Digi Cabi just need to unscrew 6 screws to remove the dehumidifier unit, either send it to a dealer/agent in M'sia or send it straight to S'pore.

I was aiming for 60-80 liters.... Was already moving away of Digi Cabi booth b'cos of the price... I decided to ask for comparison... I kinda got convinced and settled for 100 liters instead .. hahaha

I have a DHC-080, but I always thought Aipo is cheaper than Digicabi.

After reading this, and it so happen that the same topic was being discussed during a kopi session with my friend who is a photographer for NG. As such inspired me to share some info on the proper use of a drycabi to addon to the T/S's findings.

i. It is always nice to have a separate control of the humidifier. Plan your items that requires special care of the dry-cabi. For eg, should you requires a capacity like 180L, you may source for either 3x60L or pay slightly more for one that has 2 or 3 doors with individual humidifiers to minimise space and stacking.
ii. As for humidity settings, my personal preference is:
Lenses ~50-60%
Camera Bodies & Leather ~65-70%

Understand that fugus requires dampness of ~75% and light to grow. As such it is also recommended to 'light seal' the dry-cabi using black paper or cardboard to cover the glass in front. The glass door design of the dri-cabi is for the ease to view the items inside and does not served any purposes at all.

Last edited:
Yes i bought digi cab 30L analog with digital display, it requires 1xAAA battery for display.Foam for lens provided
I try a few times to get 45%RH maybe 2-3hrs to stablized. working well.
Is 45% RH good settings for DLSR camera and lens?

i. It is always nice to have a separate control of the humidifier. Plan your items that requires special care of the dry-cabi. For eg, should you requires a capacity like 180L, you may source for either 3x60L or pay slightly more for one that has 2 or 3 doors with individual humidifiers to minimise space and stacking.
ii. As for humidity settings, my personal preference is:
Lenses ~50-60%
Camera Bodies & Leather ~65-70%

Understand that fugus requires dampness of ~75% and light to grow. As such it is also recommended to 'light seal' the dry-cabi using black paper or cardboard to cover the glass in front. The glass door design of the dri-cabi is for the ease to view the items inside and does not served any purposes at all.

Interesting idea. Am using two dry cabinets now but has been thinking of getting just one big one instead. But now that you mention the advantage of having separate controls.

Actually my lenses grew fungus when the humidity was 60% when my Akarui analog meter showed 50% when it was actually 60%. Meters can be inaccurate so it is good to have a separate meter for calibration. Now a little kiasu and setting it at 40-45%.

Question. Why "light seal" the cabi? Doesn't UV light inhibit mold growth and mould grows better in the dark? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Dark_help_mold_grow_faster That's why some people recommend bringing the lenses out to use to prevent fungus.

just got my Aipo 48L on sunday. great service.
delivery man was quite friendly.

1 : i set the humility to 45%. is this ok for 2 DSLR, 4 lens, and 3 PNS camera?
2 : after running for 1 full day, i notice that the number wonder between 45 - 47. is this normal??

Hi Filmnoir...

where do u get that sticker? it's cool!..i like to get one sticker on my Aipo too...:)

My Digicabi digital hygrometer is way off compared to a separate digital hygrometer. Its about -15% difference! Iwonder which is spoilt. Anyone has any experiences to share?

Which model is your Digi Cabi? I have the 30L (DB-036) and 160L (DHC-160) cabinets and both digital hygrometers appear to be quite accurate. I compared their readings with 2 other small digital hygrometers of different makes. Overall, I have a difference of about +/- 2% among them.

Can't tell leh, where I can I find the model number?

Which model is your Digi Cabi? I have the 30L (DB-036) and 160L (DHC-160) cabinets and both digital hygrometers appear to be quite accurate. I compared their readings with 2 other small digital hygrometers of different makes. Overall, I have a difference of about +/- 2% among them.

Simple. Take the dimension of the box - W x D x H (cm) = Volume (L). You can check your model from Digihub website.

My Digicabi digital hygrometer is way off compared to a separate digital hygrometer. Its about -15% difference! Iwonder which is spoilt. Anyone has any experiences to share?

Note the difference in RH readings from different makes of digital hygrometers?

Hygrometers.JPG