[ Test ] - Flagship Colours - E5 vs E3 vs E1 Shots

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
Spidey89 and myself met up for breakfast over the weekend and did some shots with the E-series flagships, past and present.

The setup was consisted of the E5, E3 and E1 with the ZD50-200 SWD as the test lens. Everything was tripod mounted and the still life items were set on a product table with Fluorescent Light (5200k).

Camera settings:
Natural
Sharpness: 0
Contrast: 0
Noise Filter: Standard
Gradation: Normal

(100% crops will be added to each set when i find some time this week)
(there is something odd about the E3's colours, the settings applied are consistent across the shots and the lens is the same used. the shots are correct at time of writing this, let me go through the files again and i'll post an update along with the 100% later this week)

Last edited:
Set 1, Out of Camera JPEG Colours

All shots at 50mm, F8, 1/25sec, ISO100, WB5200 (click on the pic for original size)

E5

E3

E1

Set 2, Out of Camera JPEG Colours and Detail Rendering

All shots at 112mm (with EX25), F5.6, 1/10sec, ISO100, WB5200 (click on the pic for original size)

E5

E3

E1

E1's colours look the most faithful and neutral.

E1's colours look the most faithful and neutral.

Yup. The E1's colours (red's especially) are the handled better then the E3 and E5, which are more saturated then the E1's.

to add: the E1 was able to capture the slight gloss of the fabric (see Set 2, E1 shot, bottom right corner) that the E3 and E5 did not capture.

Last edited:
Set 3, RAW with Lightroom 3.3 Conversion Colours

Same shots as Set 1, RAW conversion with Lightroom 3.3 shots at General Default settings. 50mm, F8, 1/25sec, ISO100, WB5200 (click on the pic for original size)

E5

E3

E1

Set 2, RAW with Lightroom 3.3 conversion

Lightroom 3.3 General Default Setting. All shots at 112mm (with EX25), F5.6, 1/10sec, ISO100, WB5200 (click on the pic for original size)

E5

E3

E1

Reserved for Set 5 & 6 (JPEG / LR3.3 ISO 100 - 6400 crops)

Last edited:
Reserved for Set 7 & 8 (JPEG / LR3.3 ISO 100 - 6400 crops)

Thanks for the comparison :)

Somehow i find the E3 in set1 jpg OOC has a slight magenta cast esp the white/grey background. The RAW LR processed Set3 looks the worst for E3 with very prominent magenta cast. Is it juz me??? :sweat: :sweat:

Edited: How about using Oly software to process the RAWs instead? That might juz equalise things better?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison. Surprised at how good the E1 is. :)

nightpiper said:
Thanks for the comparison :)

Somehow i find the E3 in set1 jpg OOC has a slight magenta cast esp the white/grey background. The RAW LR processed Set3 looks the worst for E3 with very prominent magenta cast. Is it juz me??? :sweat: :sweat:

Edited: How about using Oly software to process the RAWs instead? That might juz equalise things better?

Tried that last night, same results as Set 1. There is definitely a colour cast in the E3 files cos every shot from iso100 up to iso3200 has the same colour cast. Lightroom probably just amplified the colour cast in set 3.

I have to take a good look through the raw files to figure out what's wrong.

This is a good thing that the mods posted. I appreciate the effort. Small point though, can u collage so that the photos are side by side? Also, it would be interesting to just let people choose which one they like best or which one is the E1/E3 or E5. :)

Great comparison of three great cameras...Sometimes older cameras still have something on their newer siblings...;) I still like the studio shots out of my Fuji S3 pro's over my newer Nikon's..(for JPG's that is)...but speed demons they are not!...I would love to see some comparisons of the oly 620 vs the e3/e5...I'm still planning to get an Oly SLR to complement my Oly Pens...I'd get one of the new Pany's but not sure how well the auto focus would work with the high end Oly 4/3 glass (150 f2 and any of the 2.8 glass). Plus, the Oly's have that wonderful built in I.S. that lets me use it with any lense..:thumbsup:
cheers
www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

P.S. I don't own the 150 f2 yet, but I'm still dreaming of it as a replacement for my 15year old Nikon AF300 f2.8..Ha Ha!

Last edited:
Seeing these photo I really miss my E620 :)

Bro any low light comparission among the 3 cameras? and if not so much request some night shots also :)

Thanks for doing the comparison. :)

The E-5 photos show that they tried to get back to the E-1 look with some success. It's only the E-3 that seems to have trouble with the pinkish cast.

I'd probably turn down the saturation on the E-5 since the E-1 is generally a bit much at times and the E-5 is way past that level.

Seeing these photo I really miss my E620 :)

I sold my E-620 and got the E-500 just for the Kodak sensor. I must say I love it... sometimes can produce colors similar to Leicas. Even my wife said that old camera produces better colors than our E-620 and E-P1. And I paid practically peanuts for it :)

I sold my E-620 and got the E-500 just for the Kodak sensor. I must say I love it... sometimes can produce colors similar to Leicas. Even my wife said that old camera produces better colors than our E-620 and E-P1. And I paid practically peanuts for it :)

tempting :)