TRD Beholder EC1 stabilizer

kandinsky

Staff member
Apr 26, 2008
I was just checking out the DS1 again, pondering picking one up. Noticed that TRD has a new model (EC1) coming out soon. Priced at US$999, approx 40% more than the DS1 (US$699).

[video=youtube;JDtUmdNw9gA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDtUmdNw9gA[/video]

They released some details on their FB page and preview video on youtube.

Published on Jun 12, 2016
  • TRD Beholder EC1 Encoder handheld gimbals function testing
  • 3 axis 360^ free .LCD display !
  • Please Try to adjust the balance and then boot the gimbal, the video is just a test machine power ,imbalance power on gimbals , is not the proper use of demonstration.
  • the ec1 will release end of June!!
  • Beholder EC1 Dimensions,360x184x79mm
  • Compatibility:
  • Mirrorless & DSLR Cameras up to 5lb
  • Main Features:
  • 32-bit Alexmos controller with motor control units (MCUs) and 12bit Encoder system
  • OLCD screen display for power and battery level
  • OLCD screen display for Mode and joystick
  • 3 axis Gyro stabilizer and 4axis Tool-less design
  • 3 axis 360° 1.Pitch 2.Roll 3.Yaw (no limitation)
  • Quick-release plate support 577
  • Four-way joystick to control the pitch and roll angle
  • 3s 3.7v 2600mah Detachable Rechargeable battery
  • battery with an operation time of up to 20 hours
  • one 3/8" screw holes bottom one 1/4" on side for mounting accessories like TV or microphone
  • Increase the precision of stabilization by applying FOC-specific compensations.
  • Five pre-configured profiles including Follow, Pitch Lock, Full Lock, Follow Roll, and Home Move
  • Prevents motors from loosing synchronization and skipping steps.
  • Auto-Invert-Mode (all profiles can be also used in this condition)
  • Bluetooth module for remote control (not included)
  • 2.4g wireless jostock module for remote control (not included)
  • Supported temperature accelerometer calibration
  • Adaptive PID-algorithm for preventing vibrations in big angles
  • ACC low-pass filter to improve the stability
  • Provides the information about frame angle and angle of the camera relative to frame,
  • Five user-configurable modes of system operation with a toggle button
  • Option to adjust camera position by hands.
  • Low-voltage protection for integrated battery
  • Can significantly decrease power consumption by using field-oriented control strategy to drive
  • motors
  • Sound alerts for mode change, and calibration
  • Increases instant torque the same way.

• Maximum payload 2.3kg for sony a7s with 16-35mm ,canon 5d3 with 16-36mm free roll axis ,The camera viewfinder will not touch the roll axis motor.
  • light camera like a6300 or rx100 and even go pro iPhone 6+ ,you can adjusting balance ,4 axis adjustment for balance ,more them 12 hour In use time (need balance camera)
  • 3 axis 360 degree rotation no limit,one Click on the button back to center,quick plate comparebl with 577 and a lot Standard quick release plate in market.

Additional details/specs here: https://www.owldolly.com/products/pre-order-beholder-ec1-camera-stabilizer?variant=20350646468

not sure what's the big difference (inside), but on exterior, i can see that the quick release plate system is 2-axis minor adjustment = easier to balance

the DS1 is pretty easy to use already, interested to test out? ryan also has a MS1 for his GH4 (that 1 seem to be best combo)

Appreciate the offer! I've tried my friend's, which got me interested.

I'm not sure, but based on specs, the MS1's max payload feels a bit tight for my GH4 + 12-35 combo. Depends on lens choice I suppose? It's better to have some headroom as I've read in some reviews that they had issues when they got close to the rated load. Plus zero accessories can be used.

Thanks for sharing. I think the EC1 is a good alternative to the CAME Single and Optimus. EC1 design looks like it can fold flat for easy storage and transport - something that the Single can't do.

i shot footage using gh4 + ds1 => with model ryankhoo "running"

let's see how persuasive you guys are ... to get ryan to upload it =D

With that kind of pricing I am leaning more towards the DJI Osmo w/X5 camera.

Osmo X5 will be ideal for controlled sets. That is, when there is time to set up the wifi, troubleshoot, cue actors and go for retakes.
For more unpredictable situations, an instant-on LCD is better. Eg. a capable autofocusing camera like the Canon EOS 80D paired with an EC1. Having encoders is another layer of insurance. Any miscalibration can be quickly corrected by brute force. Although there will be more strain on the motor and battery until proper rebalancing is performed, but the shot is still steadied.

the DS1 is pretty easy to use already, interested to test out? ryan also has a MS1 for his GH4 (that 1 seem to be best combo)
And i use the olympus 12mm F2 lens. Very good ... ������������

And i use the olympus 12mm F2 lens. Very good ... ������������

Thank you Ryan.

@daniyal - do bring ur camera down to orient to test if u r buying. The gimbals are generally very good but default settings may/may not suit everyone's camera config

@daniyal - do bring ur camera down to orient to test if u r buying. The gimbals are generally very good but default settings may/may not suit everyone's camera config

yes pettypoh is correct.

I cannot remember how to balance the damn thing. So I brought the my own GH4 + the 12mm F2 and the boss there balance for me. And I made some markings on the plate so that I need not have to re-balance again ...

And I have to confess that I have to disturb and trouble pettypoh a few times to show me how to operate it ... :bsmilie: