Using non-camera bag as camera bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
An idea of what i get to pack with a $30-ish Targus notebook bag. Didnt even have to do anything to it. Bonus is its already weather resistant and doesnt scream camera bag. I use it mostly for day to day type of shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU90iHV9lcc
Be sure to click the Watch in HD button.

Pros: Lots of storage and padding protection for little money.
Cons: *cannot keep large lens joined to body in bag.

*In such situations where i find interesting pics but camera in bag, thats why i keep a PnS handy in a reachable spot and hope i am fast enough to catch the moment.

bag is separate into 3 sections.
main compartment holds the lens, body and mac with even more room for more.
accessories hold well..the accessories. Split between 2 sections for accessability.

Fully loaded, the padded targus is quite comfortable on the back.:thumbsup:

Not exactly a camera bag like Lowepro or Crumpler but it works and is cheap. So how many others did similar?

Last edited:
i got a black hiking haversack with raincover for bad weather and padded materials for shock reduction.
It has 2 side pockets which can hold a water bottle and a tripod.
Main compartment put bodies, lenses, flash and a mini umbrella.
Another main compartment put laptop (with padded slot).
Secondary compartment put blower, lens pen, spare batteries, SD cards, cleaning cloth, cables (for camera, hp, etc) and sunglass.
Another secondary compartment put filter bag (which can holds 8 filters), earphones and compact camera (F31fd).

My 18-200 VR lens is always attached to the camera body.
However i got put protective cover over them before putting into the main compartment.

The bag costs $50+ only. But the only trouble is putting down the whole bag if i need to take out my camera.
And usually my bag is super heavy... not good for the back for long hrs.

with not much going on and "dslr" bag in need of a cleaning, tested just how much rain power would it take to go through the water resistance. wven though i bring along plastic bag in case of rain, the water resistance performs quite well. If you guys got nothing to do and your bags in need of cleaning, should try also with all the Lowepro, Domke, Crumpler and etc out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZIATV-0KiM

has anyone tested with lowepro computrekker and the Nikon labelled 190aw? quite interested in their water resistance without the weather cover.

nice bag!. how bout the padding? btw what is the soundtrack? cool ayt?:D
With respect to weather resistant? I choose deuter futura models, you can put a small camera bags on the lower compartment, good for hiking and extremes.;)

The padding is quite excellent actually, it carried my equipment comfortably. If a $39 bag can give such reasonably good water resistance, i really am expecting even better results from the higher priced bags.

I have tried and real life experience of a billingham stormblock....:thumbsup: solid!!

Not a single drop went into the bag....and it was pretty heavy rain too

I'm using an unused gas-mask pouch that I received while in the army to fit in my camera. Used the paddings off my 6mill crumpler bag + some styrofoams. Pouch is readily made waterproof and looks pretty handy with velcros and buckles. Hahaha not too shabby in my opinion..only bad thing is maybe it's unable to fit in additional lenses or external flash. Otherwise it's pretty handy if you need a quick light bag if you gotta lug around with your camera.

Btw, anyone has any idea where can i buy those soft paddings of various sizes?

I tried the $35 targus bag.. it is really cheap and good.. no internal padding slot for the individual lens but if u have lens pouch this is a superb bag.. so much comfortable then my lowepro bags.:thumbsup:

Reportage and Orion9, you guys have interesting bag:cool:..... Never thought of using a Targus bag nor a gas-mask pouch as a camera bag. Certainly a good disguise when going oversea to some not so safe countries.

Seems like alot of searching for me.... abit too unorganized.

Seems like alot of searching for me.... abit too unorganized.
depends how its packed. Some people pack by function, some people pack by item. I just pack whichever way is most accessible to me and it works...after a while it becomes automatic.

best of all, still got enough space for few days outing if needed.

At times, I'm using a normal backpack to put my camera with kit lenses.
Or I put it in a small camera bag and put it in my backpack.

I think it's ok as it will be more convenient when I go out. ;)

c094bd08.jpg

at the harvey norman warehouse sale and today is last day.

I've tried using my timberland messenger bag once to put my dslr in. Quite gd actually.

Now i plan to put my dslr in a neoprene bag and throw in the messenger bag when i go travel this mth end. ;p

I've tried using my timberland messenger bag once to put my dslr in. Quite gd actually.

Now i plan to put my dslr in a neoprene bag and throw in the messenger bag when i go travel this mth end. ;p
actually i dont advise that unless its using those Zeroshock "slow memory" foam to absorb the shocks. Maybe just get a cheap and nice sized camera sling bag instead and then can dump it in the timberland without worry.

here is how the bag looks like now.

d3ac6d6f.jpg
0628cb3f.jpg
3f505931.jpg

actually i dont advise that unless its using those Zeroshock "slow memory" foam to absorb the shocks. Maybe just get a cheap and nice sized camera sling bag instead and then can dump it in the timberland without worry.

Hi, tks for your advise. Is the Neoprene bag sufficient, I mean of course the neoprene would not take hard shocks, say if i sling the timberland woth me most of the time?

Hi, tks for your advise. Is the Neoprene bag sufficient, I mean of course the neoprene would not take hard shocks, say if i sling the timberland woth me most of the time?
hard to say...if you were to drop an egg covered in standard thickness of neoprene chances are its gonna shatter if dropped.

A neoprene slr case is usually in the $20 range. If you can spend ~$30 i would recommend the Lowerpro TopLoad Zoom series instead.
9cbc4c53.jpg

With this, you can secure the camera to your belt if travelling light and has enough padding for you to simply dump into your bag. Its not completely shock resistant but for about $10 more over a neoprene bag, made more sense for me to get this one.

Last edited:
hahahha this is mine:
12632_1253657854244_1013465660_30827153_616165_n.jpg

I'm a BIG fan of Burburry-like motifs. If burburry would one day release a camera bag, i most likely will save for it by not eating for 1 month. hahah:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.