What makes an editing PC fast - good video card (gpu) or the processor (cpu)?

haring

Nov 4, 2010
I want to upgrade my computer. I am running a 3gen i7 processor a geforce 1050.
I find that lightroom is slow when I scroll through photos in develop mode? Faster rendering in develop mode would make my editing faster...
What should I upgrade? Processor or the video card? I would like to hear opinions from photographers or videographers who have done the upgrade... I already upgraded the hard drive to ssd.
Thanks a bunch!

Hi, I'm assuming you want to do photo editing primarily and some video but both tasks in terms of software are written ( code ) to make use of only single core ( photo editing ) and perhaps a little graphic card resources but newer versions may change to take advantage of video card.

For video editing software it uses multi core performance of CPU.
As it is, gen3 i7 is 4 core 8 threads so it would seem it can do video editing as well. Now we are discussing upgrading your pc not buying a new pc. Do understand each higher generation of CPU offers better performance all round.

You have upgraded to ssd for your operating system and photo and video software so it is noticeably faster from startup and loading files. Your geforce 1050 for all intent and purpose is sufficient to give good performance for photo editing and small file video 1080p.

Instead of upgrading the hardware like CPU or video card it's best to optimise your software ( lightroom).
Try these tips first.. I think you can have a better editing experience doing the suggestions.

For video you cannot upgrade your CPU as your current motherboard does not support newer CPU plus they require different socket and ram so practically you need to buy a new pc.

What I can suggest is to upgrade the video card like gtx 1650 for 150% improvement or 1660 super for 200% used or new old stock for affordable budget which your 500/550 watt power supply can support.

As for buying a new pc you would have noticed that gamers are complaining that they are unable to buy any video card unless you pay what profiteers ask for. In which case they would buy a CPU with built in graphics solution but you have your old card so you can also consider a brand new pc if you have or willing to spend the budget. If you buy new a 10gen or 11gen i7 but the latest 12gen i7 or i9 require 690 or cheaper 660 chipset to run and need windows11 to fully utilise the resources of the CPU and software that take advantage of 12gen Intel CPU. Intel motherboards cost more compared to AMD CPU solution but that requires another discussion of pro and con.

Ps Also take note of how much ram your motherboard supports as a bare minimum of 16gb is needed for video.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: haring
Awesome! Thanks o much!

If you mainly use Lightroom or Photoshop then the CPU upgrade will have more impact.

Reactions: haring
If you mainly use Lightroom or Photoshop then the CPU upgrade will have more impact.

Thanks so much!!!!

For me, get a good CPU (16 cores and above, in case you want to try time lapse), 64GB ram, mid range GPU xx70/80 series (unless you want to game). Then a fast SSD for editing those photos, mostly helps (for my case). A NAS or large TB for storage, NAS would be more ideal but can buy when about to run out of space. Anyway, PC technology changes fast, need $ to keep pace with it but I still need $ for trip! :p