What time to Shoot Birds in these places.....

Does good binocular helps in birding? I am thinking of getting it.

Binocular is good for bird watching or spotting/identifying of birds from far.
When i just started,i bought a cheapo one below $100 but i seldom use it as i didn't know how to read the specs and bought one which can zoom from 8x-12x and the diameter was 25mm..needless to say on its glass elements..so in the end i seldom use it.
and when i got serious into looking for a better ones,i did some search on it..the most popular specs for birding is 8x or 10x by 40mm,42mm or 52mm..choosing a bin is similar in choosing a lens...some factors for your consideration are the low light performance?,magnification?(note that the higher the magnification,the shaky it gets just like lenses),do u want that can zoom?(also like lens zoom lens vs prime lens),weight?,price?...etc
a good bin is very sharp,nice color and contrast.
Canon has one that comes with Image Stabilizer that cost about $1.8k the last i checked with Cathay Photo.

+1 to Turbonetic's great advice.

Don't bother with the cheap ones as the image quality may be so poor that you will not be able to identify the bird. Do also consider bino with a wider field of view (FOV can be different for bino with the same magnification), it will make it easier to locate the birds.

For me, the bino is very useful as I seldom use a tripod. So every time I want to identify a bird, I have to lift my whole setup. Getting the bino really helps to reduce the strain on my arms :D

Thanks for the infor!

+1 to Turbonetic's great advice.

Don't bother with the cheap ones as the image quality may be so poor that you will not be able to identify the bird. Do also consider bino with a wider field of view (FOV can be different for bino with the same magnification), it will make it easier to locate the birds.

For me, the bino is very useful as I seldom use a tripod. So every time I want to identify a bird, I have to lift my whole setup. Getting the bino really helps to reduce the strain on my arms :D

yes FOV is another considering factor.
the wider the FOV the better.
if the bird is too far even looking through the camera may not be able to distinguished the ID,unless u took a shot and view it at 100% crop but the IQ won't be very good sometimes so bad that u still can't ID it so a binocular is definitely better.
sometimes i hope i could shoot through my bino...lol

Last edited:
TS,

My take without repeating,
1) clothing (avoid bright colors...they will see you from a far distance even you are stealthly).
2) good bino (8 X 42 for wide view, easier to search, 10 X 42 a lil more zoom. 12 X 42 also can, but remember, the more zoom you have, the easier you will shake and get giddy. And harder to locate birds because FOV is narrower. Weight n cost is another factor).
3) Book on birds (So you can ID them when in doubt out there or after taking pix).
4) camera n lens (lens will be something you will most likely upgrade, a trashbag or raincoat for lens n body in case of rain).
5) Note book and pen to note location and timing (to be used for reference with the birds book, so you have an idea their habitat and season, migratory or not.).
6) Tripod or monopod, depending on what you like (Some like handheld because more versatile).

Have fun n dont get too stressed or frustrated...

They are not in order, but something to start with. Consider weight too...you need to think what you can carry and how long you need to be out there too.

*Edited*
Forgot to add, this can get really expensive, depending on what you want to gear with.

Last edited: