What's your dream office?

Bamboopictures

Just collecting some suggestions for a friend who is thinking of setting up a service office for freelance videographers/editors and photographers. Looking for your views on:
What location do you prefer: (town, industrial/techpark, HDB heartland?)
What kind of building do you prefer? (eg, flatted factory, shophouse, office tower)
How many days in a month do you think you will need to meet prospects?
What kind of presentation space do you like? (conference room/home theatre?)
Do you need actual production/post-production workspace? How many hours per day?
How much rent is comfortable for you?
Do you need to store equipment?
Do you mind if there are people outside of this industry sharing your space?
What type of other businesses do you prefer to have as neighours?
Will it bother you if someone starts live streaming from inside the same offcie?
All comments are welcomed!

Last edited:
TS - it'll be really nice to have an isolated, comfortable work space to do photo and video editing with a fully-decked quad core Mac Pro with the largest Apple Cinema display you can find.

I really wish there's such a facility that anyone can rent at any time of the day, whenver the need arises - just go there and do your work, and do it comfortably.

In my dream, it would a small space in a small, darkish room with down lights, aircon, a sofabed, the computer, a big workstation, a table to put your cup noodles on and have quick meal in between working or a table space to do writing and sketching and stuff, and easy access to the bathroom/toilet. And probably hot water for my meals and drinks, and a small chiller for drinks (can be a chargeable minibar thing).

It'll be oh so nice, if I can have this cos sometimes I don't like to work at home (too many distractions, too lazy etc.), so it'd be nice to have nice work space for a few editors to come and gather and get some creative work done.

:D

I really wish there's such a facility that anyone can rent at any time of the day, whenver the need arises - just go there and do your work, and do it comfortably.
:D

Possible...definitely possible, but how much are you willing to pay for a day's session? :)

Possible...definitely possible, but how much are you willing to pay for a day's session? :)

I really don't know, Dixon.

If there's an example for comparison, probably easier to know whether I would pay this much or that much.

What's the closest existing examples?

It's like jamming studios typically charge S$15 up per hour for a practice studio.

Since most people do this for a living (edit photos and videos), this is considered cost and they'd like to keep costs down but may be willing to spend if they need to work comfortably within a short deadline.

So, I wouldn't mind say, pay S$100 for half a day of use if I can be sure I will finish the task in that time frame, and comfortably.

:)

Hi guys,

I decided to take up a shophouse located at Orchard Area Opp MRT (1200sqft). Doing some Art gallery. Would like to share partial area for videographer or photographer who are working from home but do need a cozy place to meet clients or for editing of express highlight for Actual Day. Any suggestion of how you would prefer it to be before I renovate the place.

queries:
- Colour theme
- Is it good to have editing area to be an open space
- Meeting clients in a room or open space
- with or w/o carpet
- What you think the rental is comfortable for videographer or photographer

pm or email me at moblessed88@hotmail.com

Hi guys,

I decided to take up a shophouse located at Orchard Area Opp MRT (1200sqft). Doing some Art gallery. Would like to share partial area for videographer or photographer who are working from home but do need a cozy place to meet clients or for editing of express highlight for Actual Day. Any suggestion of how you would prefer it to be before I renovate the place.

queries:
- Colour theme
- Is it good to have editing area to be an open space
- Meeting clients in a room or open space
- with or w/o carpet
- What you think the rental is comfortable for videographer or photographer

pm or email me at moblessed88@hotmail.com

That's great news!

Personally (I don't know about others), I prefer a cosy isolated area with minimal distraction to do editing, and easy access to breaks and food/drinks. So, location is of utmost importance, as with ambience/environment.

;)

A colorist will tell you to paint the editing suite a neutral grey. This is to avoid colour contamination of the screen when doing colour correction or grading. Imagine your walls are green... all your colour correction might be overcorrected in the green hue.

An editing suite also needs a dimmer. Again, too much light affects colour correction.