Where to buy cheap and good and bright video light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations?

Dun bother going Penisula
Dun bother asking Sim Lim Square
Try Sim Lim Tower instead

My friend got his 100W lights for $200 in Penisula, I got mine for $130 at Sim Lim Tower.
But if you really want to save money, I think you just buy the lamp and bulb + Connector (50), get the battery pack (20~30) at the basement batt shop and assemble them yourself will only cost you $70~80, opps, forget to add the charger and Batt cable, $20... thus a DIY can cost you $90 ~ $100.

I think the brand is call Lumex. Beware, quite heavy with the batt pack if you choose to sling it.

But I really like this light. Once I cover an event in the spotlight, surprisingly the restaurant does not have spotlight. When the couple walks in, they will just be like dark figures... thus I blast out my Video Lights and viola, it looks almost like a spot light... My Lumex saves the day...:thumbsup:

Dun bother going Penisula
Dun bother asking Sim Lim Square
Try Sim Lim Tower instead

My friend got his 100W lights for $200 in Penisula, I got mine for $130 at Sim Lim Tower.
But if you really want to save money, I think you just buy the lamp and bulb + Connector (50), get the battery pack (20~30) at the basement batt shop and assemble them yourself will only cost you $70~80, opps, forget to add the charger and Batt cable, $20... thus a DIY can cost you $90 ~ $100.

I think the brand is call Lumex. Beware, quite heavy with the batt pack if you choose to sling it.

But I really like this light. Once I cover an event in the spotlight, surprisingly the restaurant does not have spotlight. When the couple walks in, they will just be like dark figures... thus I blast out my Video Lights and viola, it looks almost like a spot light... My Lumex saves the day...:thumbsup:

Is the video light very strong? Cos my vid cam performs badly in low light conditions and the resultant video is grainy.

Is your $130 video light the DIY type, ie. must assemble yourself?

If 1 hand hold video light and the other hand hold video cam, won't the footage be extremely shaky? Some of the footages I took were already shaky (using higher optical zoom) even with two hands holding the vid cam. Nope, my vid cam doesn't have Optical Image Stabilization, only digital image stabilization.

Thanks!

50W is already very bright liao. so if really 100W....WOW!!!! if people walk too close to your light they sure kanna disintegrated! hahaha. :p

I used to own a PD170. very good...the best for low light in fact. In a almost 0 light Dinner environment, I just need a 10/20w light plus up the grain by +6 will get very good clips liao. :)

hope this helps you to have a better guage.

Is the video light very strong? Cos my vid cam performs badly in low light conditions and the resultant video is grainy.

Is your $130 video light the DIY type, ie. must assemble yourself?

If 1 hand hold video light and the other hand hold video cam, won't the footage be extremely shaky? Some of the footages I took were already shaky (using higher optical zoom) even with two hands holding the vid cam. Nope, my vid cam doesn't have Optical Image Stabilization, only digital image stabilization.

Thanks!

The lamp can be mounted on the camera flash shoe attachment... or you can purchase the "L - Bracket", I did not assemble myself, straight from the shop... But I strongly advice to use 50W, the batt can last for 90mins.

50W is already very bright liao. so if really 100W....WOW!!!! if people walk too close to your light they sure kanna disintegrated! hahaha. :p

I used to own a PD170. very good...the best for low light in fact. In a almost 0 light Dinner environment, I just need a 10/20w light plus up the grain by +6 will get very good clips liao. :)

hope this helps you to have a better guage.

this really depends on equipments... I personally like 50 W lights very good, because it works fantastic with my A1 system. A1 is a cmos, it is not as sensitive as 3 CCD camcorder thus it did not really performs well in low light condition, 50W brightens the day, moreover, I like the bright lovely balance skin tone created by the lights... its brings in more attention to the subject.

The lamp can be mounted on the camera flash shoe attachment... or you can purchase the "L - Bracket", I did not assemble myself, straight from the shop... But I strongly advice to use 50W, the batt can last for 90mins.

S$130 you say? That's affordable. Previously I could only shoot in day or bright light conditions. Now I can shoot anytime! A sim lim square shop quoted me S$300++. Lucky I did not buy.

I hope to buy a higher end video cam (3CCD type or HD) by the end of 1st quarter of next year, cos currently my vid cam don't have shoe attachment.

this really depends on equipments... I personally like 50 W lights very good, because it works fantastic with my A1 system. A1 is a cmos, it is not as sensitive as 3 CCD camcorder thus it did not really performs well in low light condition, 50W brightens the day, moreover, I like the bright lovely balance skin tone created by the lights... its brings in more attention to the subject.
oh no I kana ketok liao... I got the videolight at $180 at simlim sq...although Song bro at funan do quote me $190... Btw where can I get the 50w bulb? At Sim Lim Tower cheaper too? May I know which shop?

oh no I kana ketok liao... I got the videolight at $180 at simlim sq...although Song bro at funan do quote me $190... Btw where can I get the 50w bulb? At Sim Lim Tower cheaper too? May I know which shop?

for the bulb, you can almost get from any hardware shop in SimLim towers or even your neighbourhood shop

FYI, if you are not picky about video tripod brand, you can get good bargain (Decent Video Tripod) in SimLim Towers too.

Confirmed *** The brand of video lights I am using is Luxmen, the lamp is QzLux

http://www.adcom.it/prod/14753_AL-Q313D+L.html

i tried 50w before on my 3CCD but it does n't come out well...what happen can u elobrate ...should i used manual mode..tqs

for the bulb, you can almost get from any hardware shop in SimLim towers or even your neighbourhood shop

FYI, if you are not picky about video tripod brand, you can get good bargain (Decent Video Tripod) in SimLim Towers too.

Confirmed *** The brand of video lights I am using is Luxmen, the lamp is QzLux

http://www.adcom.it/prod/14753_AL-Q313D+L.html

:cool: he he he i also kena tekok bought at $190 at song bro also...i bought Lumex 100w

i tried 50w before on my 3CCD but it does n't come out well...what happen can u elobrate ...should i used manual mode..tqs

Its more on the nature of your video cam... 3CCD camera are ultra sensitive to lights, thus having 10W and 20W is good enough and the colours will be nicely displayed provided you have set your WB to the right temperature. As for CMOS camera (Sony A1), is a different story, once the lighting is low, the camera will try its very best to illuminate the subject by auto adjusting the exposure, however, this will cause the image to be noisy, 10 to 20W will not work for me unless its close up, thus I decide to use a 100W and play with the reflectors, strong and nice image appears now... but my customer eyes complain... hahahaha, thus I change to 50W, 50W is also strong but not that bad. I prefer to stand 5~7 meters away from the subject so that the photographer can do his job, thus 50W for me is a must.

But for those using 50~100W lights, kindly advice your photographer to change his settings when the light is being used in an enclose area, else his photo will turn out very very "Red"... got an incident with this "guailan" photographer, the first and only last time I will ever work with him... My partner kindly advise him the lightings, he thinks we are lecturing him... thus in the end, his morning session turn out to be extremely red and most problably he will have to sit infront of his PC adjusting the pictures in the morning session photo. Usually when I work with pro photographer, they are very nice, once I advise them the lighting, they will be very happy and we can chat and work together happily.

tqs devilboy.... wow....that nice...i will work on the lighting that u pointed out...tqs man....

tqs devilboy.... wow....that nice...i will work on the lighting that u pointed out...tqs man....

Video is tiring, if can make friends with Photographer, it great, so far most of the photographer I work with are very nice people, some let me touch their 1D MarkII during break... let me feel their expensive L lenses.. share about business tots, photo and video skills (I am photography lover as well) and etc... we even recommend each other businesses.... Being proud and scarstic will really get you no where... moreover, its a wedding event... get yourself soak into the atmosphere and your passion for video will grow stronger and stronger...

Please warn your clients about the use of video light. I personally find the harsh video lights very disruptive to wedding or commercial events, use only when agreed upon and no choice.

There was this wedding that I attended, where the couple planned some fancy lights for their walk in which paints the bride's gown in various nice colours. I was REALLY early, so I saw that during the rehearsal. But when the actual walk in happened, the videographer shot his very bright video light and washed the bride in blinding yellowish light, spoiling the whle thing. She was VERY upset and I saw her wiping tears during dinner... so much for video lights.

Best to check beforehand.

drill some holes using a 300watt garden lamp mount on yr camcorder. cheapest way to get lit but produces crap lighting. want good lighting expect to pay money for miniflo .:dunno:

drill some holes using a 300watt garden lamp mount on yr camcorder. cheapest way to get lit but produces crap lighting. want good lighting expect to pay money for miniflo .:dunno:
Dear deryiu, I think your comments are the most useless here. If you do not have anything constructive to say, please keep the bright garden lamp to yourself. Thank you! :sticktong

Cathay Photo is selling Lumex at $120. :)

for most occasion 50 w is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.