'No Photography' Plz...

You got my number wrong leh! Wahahah! :devil:

Maybe we should have a T-shirt with a message:

C A L L M Y L A W Y E R
1800-98765432

Let's ee.

Outside Fullerton 1, by the water, with tripod and a model. Security guard came and gave me hell when a bunch of German speaking tourists were shooting happily everywhere. Idiot said, photography is not allowed on private property. I just wonder, do they also owned the entire promenade outside by the water?

In front of the Scarlet Hotel. We are ON THE SIDEWALK, shooting a model. Idiot manager came out saying that we cannot shoot the hotel. Why not I said. She said we might sell the picture. So, it's guilty before the crime?

Chimjes, was there with another photographer, she is American. We have 2 other friends, females, with us. I got harassed and she did not. One of my friend videoed the entire thingy with her mobile phone video cam. We lodged a formal complaint to Chimjes management, she got a reply and I did not. Nice going guys!

2 friends and I were shopping at one of the store on the ground floor of Paragon, one facing Orchard Road. Together we bought enough to buy an L lens, and it's not the f4 varieties. Friends want to take a picture of themselves in front of the display window. So I wiped out a PnS, took a few shot, and at the corner of my eye, a mad woman came out asking me what are we doing. I said it's none of her business, call the police if she wanted to, and if she did, we would want to return everything we just bought. She backed off. I wrote to the company's HQ in the US, got an apology. But so what, there will always be a sour taste in the mouth.

This is my favorite one. I was staying at one of the 5* hotel in Singapore. I was a guest. I was told, by another idiot wearing the hotel's uniform, that I cannot shoot the hotel lobby. I ask why? The answer was, I am using professional camera. It was my 20D and my friend, she was using a Leica. Oh well. Of course, what do you expect DP to do in this particular instance. I spent the next hour chewing more holes into the front desk manager, the duty manger and then the resident manager. I was compensated, but I should have have to have this experience.

And then ...

Shooting a model in front of HSBC headquarter in Hong Kong, on the tram track, on a Sunday morning. Police came by, told us to be careful, don't get run over by the tram.

Shooting a nude outdoor in one of the gardens in suzhou. Security came by and ask what's going on. My mandarin is well, what mandarin. The 2 security guards knew what was happenning, we smoked a cigarette or 2 together, shoot went on, they kept watch, all went well.
Time to head to Batam or Bintan to shoot models my friend.

Its getting extremely tiring (everyone's getting older) if one have to keep arguing one's rights with overzealous security guard, managers and some paranoid female member of the public who thinks that standing at 1.7m shooting straight and level is gonna grab a shot where all her private parts are exposed.

Just bring ur hobby to places where its more welcomed where u can spend ur time shooting and thinking rather than arguing! :D

When I was in Japan and Australia, I got stopped from taking photos too what.
Don't think I was stopped in those 2 countries at all.

The worst I had received was just an implicit rejection when the target simply raised her magazine and covered her face. Message received. Understood. Apologetic smile and walked off without shooting.

i juz sent 2 complains to the STB.
waiting for replys. :rolleyes:

Time to head to Batam or Bintan to shoot models my friend.

Its getting extremely tiring (everyone's getting older) if one have to keep arguing one's rights with overzealous security guard, managers and some paranoid female member of the public who thinks that standing at 1.7m shooting straight and level is gonna grab a shot where all her private parts are exposed.

Just bring ur hobby to places where its more welcomed where u can spend ur time shooting and thinking rather than arguing! :D

this is almost as bad as the days where people accuse you of stealing their soul when u shot them.

Let's ee.

Outside Fullerton 1, by the water, with tripod and a model. Security guard came and gave me hell when a bunch of German speaking tourists were shooting happily everywhere. Idiot said, photography is not allowed on private property. I just wonder, do they also owned the entire promenade outside by the water?

In front of the Scarlet Hotel. We are ON THE SIDEWALK, shooting a model. Idiot manager came out saying that we cannot shoot the hotel. Why not I said. She said we might sell the picture. So, it's guilty before the crime?

Chimjes, was there with another photographer, she is American. We have 2 other friends, females, with us. I got harassed and she did not. One of my friend videoed the entire thingy with her mobile phone video cam. We lodged a formal complaint to Chimjes management, she got a reply and I did not. Nice going guys!

2 friends and I were shopping at one of the store on the ground floor of Paragon, one facing Orchard Road. Together we bought enough to buy an L lens, and it's not the f4 varieties. Friends want to take a picture of themselves in front of the display window. So I wiped out a PnS, took a few shot, and at the corner of my eye, a mad woman came out asking me what are we doing. I said it's none of her business, call the police if she wanted to, and if she did, we would want to return everything we just bought. She backed off. I wrote to the company's HQ in the US, got an apology. But so what, there will always be a sour taste in the mouth.

This is my favorite one. I was staying at one of the 5* hotel in Singapore. I was a guest. I was told, by another idiot wearing the hotel's uniform, that I cannot shoot the hotel lobby. I ask why? The answer was, I am using professional camera. It was my 20D and my friend, she was using a Leica. Oh well. Of course, what do you expect DP to do in this particular instance. I spent the next hour chewing more holes into the front desk manager, the duty manger and then the resident manager. I was compensated, but I should have have to have this experience.

And then ...

Shooting a model in front of HSBC headquarter in Hong Kong, on the tram track, on a Sunday morning. Police came by, told us to be careful, don't get run over by the tram.

Shooting a nude outdoor in one of the gardens in suzhou. Security came by and ask what's going on. My mandarin is well, what mandarin. The 2 security guards knew what was happenning, we smoked a cigarette or 2 together, shoot went on, they kept watch, all went well.

Thanks for sharing the incidents. Really.

this is almost as bad as the days where people accuse you of stealing their soul when u shot them.
And I thought such behaviour only exists in certain tribes in the Sahara desert.

And frankly speaking, with this advent of so-called 'Citizen Journalism' (and seriously speaking, I think its overhyped and getting too lame with bad sheeps sounding like an overstrung harp playing the same ol' out-of-tune song for the millionth time whining about silly stuff) and things like STOMP isn't going to do serious photography enthusiasts much good as well.

A simple pan-shot of a lady blading down East Coast Park would probably be recorded by some kaypoh on handphone with an extremely misleading caption and story probably turning the guy into an oversexed caveman.

Sitting outside Paragon thinking how it is best to capture and portray the moving crowd to generate a solid wall of crowd will get u approached by an overzealous security guard and when he's talking to u, some kaypohs will just capture it with their handphone cameras and just say something ridiculous.

As such, people start to get paranoid as cameras become the new 'weapon' in Cyber Bullying and Defamation.

Last edited:
And I thought such behaviour only exists in certain tribes in the Sahara desert.

And frankly speaking, with this advent of so-called 'Citizen Journalism' (and seriously speaking, I think its overhyped and getting too lame with bad sheeps sounding like an overstrung harp playing the same ol' out-of-tune song for the millionth time whining about silly stuff) and things like STOMP isn't going to do serious photography enthusiasts much good as well.

A simple pan-shot of a lady blading down East Coast Park would probably be recorded by some kaypoh on handphone with an extremely misleading caption and story probably turning the guy into an oversexed caveman.

Sitting outside Paragon thinking how it is best to capture and portray the moving crowd to generate a solid wall of crowd will get u approached by an overzealous security guard and when he's talking to u, some kaypohs will just capture it with their handphone cameras and just say something ridiculous.

As such, people start to get paranoid as cameras become the new 'weapon' in Cyber Bullying and Defamation.

stomp's a joke. period.

Don't think I was stopped in those 2 countries at all.

The worst I had received was just an implicit rejection when the target simply raised her magazine and covered her face. Message received. Understood. Apologetic smile and walked off without shooting.

In both Australia and Japan, I was shooting inside shopping centres and was told I cannot shoot. I think the security staff knew that I was tourist, told me not to shoot, I stopped, they didn't even ask me to delete the photos :cry:

In both Australia and Japan, I was shooting inside shopping centres and was told I cannot shoot. I think the security staff knew that I was tourist, told me not to shoot, I stopped, they didn't even ask me to delete the photos :cry:
Inside shopping Centres maybe can understand abit... Cos of all the competition and things like that.

Not as ridiculous as this though:
Deadpoet said:
Outside Fullerton 1, by the water, with tripod and a model. Security guard came and gave me hell when a bunch of German speaking tourists were shooting happily everywhere. Idiot said, photography is not allowed on private property.

How about The New Paper? They like to fish around here?

let them fish lor. this is a real story compared to that bs with the one who shall not be named but they never wrote about this issue.

let them fish lor. this is a real story compared to that bs with the one who shall not be named but they never wrote about this issue.

+1 this topic got more substance. pity wun generate sales volume for them oni.

How about The New Paper? They like to fish around here?

+1 this topic got more substance. pity wun generate sales volume for them oni.

Well, it was a challenge to them disguised as a question.

Let's ee.

And then ...

Thanks for sharing.

I understand that shooting in the compound of certain properties and buildings is not allowed due to various factors and competitions stuff. I was asked not to shoot in the back yard of Singapore Arts Museum. I thought I wasn't shooting inside the museum should be okay but in the end, I was asked not to by the security guard. So I left the place with my model to avoid further confrontation.

The next one is when I tries to shoot the national stadium from balcony of Leisure Park building. I was asked to stop and no photography allowed. I told him I was not taking photo of the shopping mall but the national stadium outside. He kept saying no :nono: Then I was like '' ah ! forget it lah '', and walk off.

Sometimes, I find the '' No Photography '' sign in shopping centers contradicting itself when some celebrities or event held there. People still taking photos and stuff. :dunno:

Respond from Building Management:
- You not celebrity my fault ah?
- You not tourist my fault ah?
- You not an*mo* my fault ah?
- You speak singlish my fault ah?
You not celebirty, not tourist, not an*mo* and speaks singlish what you want me to do?? Be reasonable lah!!! :angry:

reading this thread make me think of my life in Dubai...

no shooting at government building and they women is a normal thing.. and I respect that...
and I also think that I should be following their rule and not shooting anything and place that not allowed..

but for 1 thing that I found it is not right and
I been stop by many ppl in many many place here.. reason is...

I am using a tripod....

ask them y .. they said u can shoot what u wan if u remove the tripod...

and i am shooting 10m away from their place... y do the guard need to cross over the road and tell me to remove the tripod???

Because he is ignorant hahaha :) It could also be that shots only turn out nice if taken on a tripod (for low light buildings maybe) so if you use Tripod, he scared your building photo is so nice you can earn oodles out of it.

Anyway, since you are 10m away from their premises, you can shoot whatever you want. Just ignore him and if he persists, you can always call the police to aid you.

but for 1 thing that I found it is not right and
I been stop by many ppl in many many place here.. reason is...

I am using a tripod....

ask them y .. they said u can shoot what u wan if u remove the tripod...

and i am shooting 10m away from their place... y do the guard need to cross over the road and tell me to remove the tripod???

Dear Mr Yeo

Greetings from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB).

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We will forward it to the relevant department for their information and necessary action.

Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year 2009 and have a nice day ahead.

Yours sincerely
Koreen Ng (Ms)
Senior Officer
Service Culture,Assessment & Feedback Department
Service Quality Division
Address: Tourism Court,1 Orchard Spring Lane,Singapore 247729
DID:(65)6831 3460|Fax:(65)6490 4482|website: www.visitsingapore.com