'No Photography' Plz...

and i am shooting 10m away from their place... y do the guard need to cross over the road and tell me to remove the tripod???

u can try ur luck at Oxley Rd see Gurhka's reaction. some things are not so clearcut wan. dun be surprised if they bring u to nice place to chit-chat about laws... :embrass:

Dear Mr Yeo

Greetings from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB).

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We will forward it to the relevant department for their information and necessary action.

Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year 2009 and have a nice day ahead.

Yours sincerely
Koreen Ng (Ms)
Senior Officer
Service Culture,Assessment & Feedback Department
Service Quality Division
Address: Tourism Court,1 Orchard Spring Lane,Singapore 247729
DID:(65)6831 3460|Fax:(65)6490 4482|website: www.visitsingapore.com

Looks like a standard template for any feedback, only thing for them to change is the surname

Since he is not in Oxley Road and not encountering any Gurkhas, I don't think he really needs to take these comments into consideration. Advice need to be suited to the actual situation at hand.

u can try ur luck at Oxley Rd see Gurhka's reaction. some things are not so clearcut wan. dun be surprised if they bring u to nice place to chit-chat about laws... :embrass:

Dear Mr Yeo

Greetings from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB).

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We will forward it to the relevant department for their information and necessary action.

Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year 2009 and have a nice day ahead.

Yours sincerely
Koreen Ng (Ms)
Senior Officer
Service Culture,Assessment & Feedback Department
Service Quality Division
Address: Tourism Court,1 Orchard Spring Lane,Singapore 247729
DID:(65)6831 3460|Fax:(65)6490 4482|website: www.visitsingapore.com

sounds like the responses we used to see in that kfc thread.

Since he is not in Oxley Road and not encountering any Gurkhas, I don't think he really needs to take these comments into consideration. Advice need to be suited to the actual situation at hand.

okie dokie. :)

just the other day I was told by two security guards at two different places to stop taking pictures of synagogues. I am helping this Jewish friend of mine back in Melbourne to take some pictures of synagogues here, since she probably will never leave Australia due to reasons that I shall not disclose.

I even told them that I was "adopted" by this Jewish lady and tasked to do such a thing for her as an adopted son, but still I was shoo-ed away. I wasn't too pleased, obviously, but figured I'll let it slide since I wasn't in the mood to tear them a new a-hole, and that I think it might have been more effective for me to write a letter into the respective organizations to ask for an explanation as to why this may be the case, even though the buildings I was documenting was on the National Monuments List as listed on some official Singaporean website (STB or National Heritage Board or something along those lines).

Well, we gotta get used to it. These are people's properties, and if they don't like it, they have the right to restrict photography.

they have the right to restrict photography, within their compounds. i think there are many occasions of them infringing on other people's rights due to their ignorance, and to add on regardless of the situation - rude, unreasonable or aggressive behaviours. not saying that photographers always have the rights and are never ignorant, rude or aggressive, but that is probably hardly as rampant as the former.

well, and even if these commercial outlets have the right to restrict photography, that is ungracious. if there is concern over "gracious singapore", it should be aligned with removal of those signs

Last edited:
In both Australia and Japan, I was shooting inside shopping centres and was told I cannot shoot. I think the security staff knew that I was tourist, told me not to shoot, I stopped, they didn't even ask me to delete the photos :cry:

i was also politely asked not to shoot in a pachinko in tokyo. i think that's fine too.

Can't see your post leh :p

reading this thread make me think of my life in Dubai...

no shooting at government building and they women is a normal thing.. and I respect that...
and I also think that I should be following their rule and not shooting anything and place that not allowed..

but for 1 thing that I found it is not right and
I been stop by many ppl in many many place here.. reason is...

I am using a tripod....

ask them y .. they said u can shoot what u wan if u remove the tripod...

and i am shooting 10m away from their place... y do the guard need to cross over the road and tell me to remove the tripod???

Next time maybe you would want to use a monopod instead of a tripod. So if they tell you that you should remove your tripod. You can tell them that this is not a tripod (with a duh face). LOL.

many of us are angry when ask not to photograph. why? i think it has to do with the attitude of the person who told us not to photograph. if a person were to tell you nicely, i think we wont be that mad. lol.

So what counts as a public place where you can shoot whatever you want (within reason of course)? So say if I stand on the pavement outside Paragon and start taking photos of the place, does the security have any right to ask me to leave?

i was stopped a couple of times before. in response i spoke a couple of phrases from a foreign language.

he then used his walkie-talkie, and said to his colleague, "eh tourist la, tourist!" :angel:

Ah so it seems that they really have an exception for tourists hehe :)

i was stopped a couple of times before. in response i spoke a couple of phrases from a foreign language.

he then used his walkie-talkie, and said to his colleague, "eh tourist la, tourist!" :angel:

To be safe, stand nearer to the public road. The driveway may belong to them, so sometimes its not so clear. Standing on what clearly is space not belonging to them would be safe.

So what counts as a public place where you can shoot whatever you want (within reason of course)? So say if I stand on the pavement outside Paragon and start taking photos of the place, does the security have any right to ask me to leave?

A long as you're outside their property, they have no legal right to stop you, neither do the police. They want to call police report me? Fine, call lor. I wait for police to come with them.

As long as its not a protected place.

we can take anything (except intrusion to woman modesty) in public.
i read a news report regarding a young lady complaining of a man taking her picture inside
a MRT train. she called in the police. the police came and screen thru the man's HP images.
the police let him go after they found nothing offensive. i remember reading the article with
remarks by the police saying that it is not a crime for taking pictures in public.

as long as i'm standing in a public place, they hv no right to stop me to take what i want.