Macro Converter

Hi all,
Newbie here.. using canon eos 550D 18-135 kit lense..
just bought a "HD-Digital 0.5x wide angle & macro converter".. but somehow i tried to use n cant get the correct efffect on the close up object. and its very difficult to focus on the object. I am wondering hw to take photos of insect so closely n clear.
anyone can enlighten me pls?:(

another question.. is this macro converter lense cannot use at far distance? it cant see anything at all.. is it normal?

Short and basic way to use macro converter (not the only way):
1. Zoom to 135mm first.
2. Set to manual focus on camera/lens.
3. Set focus to infinity.
4. Approach subject and keep a distance of 30cm (45? depends on your gear but not that important) between lens and subject in the direction you point.
5. Mount macro converter.
6. Approach subject nearer until you see what you want in focus in the viewfinder/live-view

Because of the focal length and the close distance you're trying to focus at in macro applications, the depth of field is much more thinner than you'll be used to.

Try different zoom lengths, distances and aperture settings to explore. There is no better way to learn.

Hi all,

another question.. is this macro converter lense cannot use at far distance? it cant see anything at all.. is it normal?

From what I see yours is not a Macro converter, it's just a screw on close up filter, it can only take Macro photos
and nothing else, look at Page 1 again, Photos #1 and #2, the black one is the Macro converter.

From what I see yours is not a Macro converter, it's just a screw on close up filter, it can only take Macro photos
and nothing else, look at Page 1 again, Photos #1 and #2, the black one is the Macro converter.

ya, i get conned by a black shop to get this expensive yet useless converter. however, managed to exchange for a zoom lense, hence not going to learn close up photos for the time being.. thx

Short and basic way to use macro converter (not the only way):
1. Zoom to 135mm first.
2. Set to manual focus on camera/lens.
3. Set focus to infinity.
4. Approach subject and keep a distance of 30cm (45? depends on your gear but not that important) between lens and subject in the direction you point.
5. Mount macro converter.
6. Approach subject nearer until you see what you want in focus in the viewfinder/live-view

Because of the focal length and the close distance you're trying to focus at in macro applications, the depth of field is much more thinner than you'll be used to.

Try different zoom lengths, distances and aperture settings to explore. There is no better way to learn.

I recently just got a Extension tube, can you help me here. Trying to learn how to take a good Marco picture of flower with it.

This is what I got:
SONY A230
Kit lens - Sony AF DT 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM
Zoon lens - Sony AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 SAL
Kenko Uniplus 25mm Extension tube

hi steve...let's say if i have a 90mm tammy or sigma 105mm macro lens...can i still use raynox 250 on it and what's the results like with and without raynox 250? can i get a better close ups? i'm still learning with lx3chua for macros atm. Thanks in advance ;)

Hi there i'm very new here n really interested in macro photography.. For now i'm using tamron 90mm + raynox 250 with my canon 40D... a fren pass me his macro teleplus mc7 n i wanted to try it with my 40d + 50mm lens.. I have a problem, seem that i need a converter to use it... Where can i get the converter..quite lost here... Thanks:)

Hi stevewhy,
Your r so great.
How about D90 nikon and tamron 90 mm?
What best teleconverter or macroplus for mine.

Best wishes

Hi all,
Macro converter is so powerfull.
I look for it from eBay but most sellers do not shipping to Sarawak or Malaysia.
Anybody knows where I can get for my nikon D90?

Thank

Hi there, after reading the whole post, I still quite lost on what to do with my canon EF50mm lens. Can someone help me out? =) THanks

Last edited:
I think i got it figure it out.

Hi.. im a newbie of DSLR.. How much the extension tube cost USD?? Did my D90 (18-105mm) can use its for Micro-Shooting.. I love Micro-Shooting very much.. i trying to DIY my extension tube with PVC Pipe and Nikon Body&Lens Cap.. Isit possible to do that?? Thx for reply.. Like your photo very much, how i could get a shoot like your Picture with my D90??

Hi all Macro shooters. :)

I would like to share some knowledge on Macro Converter with all Macro lovers, use in conjunction with a regular 50mm standard lens; you can convert a standard lens into 1:1 life-size macro lens, any lens may be used, a 50mm, 75mm, 100mm or a 135mm, as-well as a 200mm or 400mm lens can be used with this macro-converter, it’s easy to change magnification over a useful range, you lose two stops, it works like a bellows(bulky) and for extension tubes the magnification will be fixed.

To my knowledge third party Macro Converters are build by Panagor, Teleplus and Vivitar or maybe more, for quality go for Teleplus Macro MC7(7 elements) infinity to 1:1, hard to find now, don’t know about the other two brands and elements, the beauty of Macro Converter is that you can use for really close up and afar, double up as a 2X Tele Converter, don’t worry about the lose of two stops and the element for Macro shoots, end of the day you are shooting with flash(As the saying goes, the Pros used more flash than the amateurs) and only few inches away from the subject, you don’t loose much quality, so its not a big problem, as compared to long distance shoots.

I did not do any direct comparison with bellows and extension tube, so no comments on the quality, I would conclude that the Macro Converter is easy to use and you are in control.

The below pictures were taken last year with my Nikon 55mm Macro lens(manual lens) plus Teleplus Macro Converter on my friends Nikon D70s.

Don’t be mistaken between Macro Converter and Tele Converter.
(Left) Macro Converter at infinity. (Right) 2X Tele Converter
374132987_11eca21f68_o.jpg

Don’t be mistaken between Macro Converter and Tele Converter.
(Left) Macro Converter at 1:1. (Right) 2X Tele Converter.
374132992_fff0fdc860_o.jpg

The Singapore 5 cents coin is for thickness comparison, you will be amaze to know how thin the spider is and you can see the hair pores too, this is the results from the setup.
Cropped away 50%
373673505_3490ca167e_o.jpg

Hahaha…. If the spider continues thinking too much, it is going to become bald soon.
Cropped away 80%
373673510_347681ce27_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Hi Stevewhy.. im a newbie of DSLR.. How much the extension tube cost USD?? Did my D90 (18-105mm) can use its for Micro-Shooting.. I love Micro-Shooting very much.. i trying to DIY my extension tube with PVC Pipe and Nikon Body&Lens Cap.. Isit possible to do that?? Thx for reply.. Like your photo very much, how i could get a shoot like your Picture with my D90??

Hi all ppl..
I got a raynox 250 attached to kit lens, however, the image is not as clear.. sad to mention that i sticked a bug with glue and cant even get a nice shot of it. very blur image... any idea whats has gone wrong?

Hi all ppl..
I got a raynox 250 attached to kit lens, however, the image is not as clear.. sad to mention that i sticked a bug with glue and cant even get a nice shot of it. very blur image... any idea whats has gone wrong?

What has gone wrong?

The major thing that went wrong is that you glued the bug. If you cannot understand your subject matter then don't shoot it. You don't need to do ridiculous things like this.

The not-so-major thing is that you probably don't realise your DOF is paper thin.

oh dear... why can't pple just use a coin, or any other inanimate objects to test a raynox... :confused:

so cruel :nono:

:cry: sorry.. i actually wanted to see e bug's face... relax, e bug didnt die, i just put glue surrounding so it wont move too far&fast...
i set f18 n cant get clear image..

Really cool!

I also have a Raynox 250. But i use it for taking gemstone pictures.

I do it with a 50mm lens. Still trying to figure out how to take a proper photo.

I also have a 100mm macro. I know its a little too much for taking shots of gemstones, but i got it at a good deal. So... got to learn from everybody here wrt to taking great photos like how you guys do it!

Last edited:
hi all,
i am new to macro.
intend to buy a converter for my tamron 90mm macro.

should i get a teleconverter or macro converter?

will i be able to achieve 180mm macro effect when i use it together w tamron 90mm?

Hi Steve, I'm very new in macro shoot . Recently bought Nikon 105 f 2,8 vr for macro shoot. Do I need to add additional macro tube or raynox to have kind of your amazing picture quality. Tks