[eikin] A Photo A Day 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
081207 ... ... ...

071208.jpg
Did you bring out your cam, carefully composed and shoot or was it a tactical shoot? :sweat:

i accidentally pressed my camera's shutter release button while fiddling with some settings :sweat:

you mean an accidental lap shot while looking at the top panel?

... ... ...

okay, think you didn't get it :sweat: it's a planned shot without looking through the viewfinder :)

lomo style? are you sitting or standing at that point of time?

lomo style? are you sitting or standing at that point of time?

what's lomo style? i was sitting opposite them, not like it really matters since i've done shooting in trains standing and sitting down. erm, anymore questions? can ask everything at one shot? :sweat:

Ok... Did you do a crop from wide angle or was that an uncropped photo? If uncropped, did you have to take many shots to get this framing? Or was it because you have mastered framing without looking at the viewfinder? If you have mastered framing without looking through the viewfinder, then I have a whole load of questions more... :bsmilie:

Ok... Did you do a crop from wide angle or was that an uncropped photo?

uncropped

If uncropped, did you have to take many shots to get this framing?

2 shots

Or was it because you have mastered framing without looking at the viewfinder?

aga aga lah, usually you should be able to get it by the 3rd shot

If you have mastered framing without looking through the viewfinder, then I have a whole load of questions more... :bsmilie:

no i haven't, see above

:kok:

what's lomo style? i was sitting opposite them, not like it really matters since i've done shooting in trains standing and sitting down. erm, anymore questions? can ask everything at one shot? :sweat:

nope. just asking about vantage point. at first when you are kidding about accidentally pressing the button, i was wondering how that happened as the shot is waist level on standing, or eye level on sitting, or with tilting up or tilting down.

by lomo, i mean shooting without viewing, i.e. by instinct and estimation.

does people really feel more conscious of your shooting when you do it via eye-level shooting (bringing it up and looking through optical viewfinder) versus capturing at other levels (i.e. either shooting by estimation or through an electronic viewfinder like zigview)? that is what many people said, and some people do it without viewing through eye level to allow more candidness (i.e. decreasing people's awareness of being captured) or to experiment with new vantage points that might be avoided if done through viewing (i.e. not even looking through an angle finder or electronic viewfinder).

nope. just asking about vantage point. at first when you are kidding about accidentally pressing the button, i was wondering how that happened as the shot is waist level on standing, or eye level on sitting, or with tilting up or tilting down.

by lomo, i mean shooting without viewing, i.e. by instinct and estimation.

does people really feel more conscious of your shooting when you do it via eye-level shooting (bringing it up and looking through optical viewfinder) versus capturing at other levels (i.e. either shooting by estimation or through an electronic viewfinder like zigview)? that is what many people said, and some people do it without viewing through eye level to allow more candidness (i.e. decreasing people's awareness of being captured) or to experiment with new vantage points that might be avoided if done through viewing (i.e. not even looking through an angle finder or electronic viewfinder).

well, shooting by instinct/estimation isn't limited to just using lomo cameras ... and shots done with lomo cameras can be pretty well planned as well ... that's one reason why i don't like to assign styles to shooting, it kind of restricts the creator and the viewer into some preconceived definitions. you can say i was trying to allow for more candidness, but i was just trying to capture the image without causing negative feelings around people. you need to live in japan to feel the people's comfort zones.

fiddling with the camera in a way announces to people around the presence of a camera, so i wouldn't say i was trying to make people feel as if nothing was going on. it's putting people around you into a consciousness without arousing embarrassment. when you point your camera at someone in a train, looking through your viewfinder, it's not just you who is looking at your subject, you are also directing everyone else's attention to your subject, and that puts your subject in a ''vulnerable'' position, even if your subject wasn't camera shy. when you ''shoot without looking at your subject'' (through the viewfinder) other people outside of the photographer-subject relation are less likely to be unnecessarily aroused by the shooting.

i have 2 pictures of the same shot, one with the girl looking away blankly, one with her looking into my camera. when she looks into my camera, she's not looking at me, she's observing my camera, and i like to capture that kind of attention people give to the camera. the same was done for the shot for 071207.

:)

that is only a descriptive term. it need not be restrict one into a preconcieved definition, but can be misunderstood to be so.

yup, thanks for the reply. i'm just curious about the comfort zones of a different culture and the kind of experience that results from it from different approaches.

one more to tickle you folks :bsmilie: the lady on the left side knows that i'm taking pictures :sweat: see how ''uptight'' she looks ... that's how sensitive they are to their environment :)

071210 read read read

071210.jpg

I like this kind of photo... It has a certain kind of feel to it. Actually I thought it was a taboo to take photo on the trains in Japan but it seems like you had been able to consistently get shots like this. That is what got me curious in the first place.
Maybe I will try to do it one of these days on the MRT... :bsmilie:

that's how sensitive they are to their environment :)

i have also heard of stories of how anxious or afraid some of them felt when a stranger approach them speaking in english, especially if they have some command of english but not fluent enough.

I like this kind of photo... It has a certain kind of feel to it. Actually I thought it was a taboo to take photo on the trains in Japan but it seems like you had been able to consistently get shots like this. That is what got me curious in the first place.

meljnes also have some excellent train photos (b/w), so i guess with some tact and expertise, it can be done... must learn from them.

hmmm ... i still think it's a taboo, if you do it explicitly :sweat: people are less bothered when they are not stared at. i wouldn't consider doing it in singapore though, i hate STOMP culture :bsmilie:

i have also heard of stories of how anxious or afraid some of them felt when a stranger approach them speaking in english, especially if they have some command of english but not fluent enough.

actually they are generally pretty helpful folks, so they get worried when they can't be of help when asked upon. it's abit paiseh for them to reject a request for help.

meljnes also have some excellent train photos (b/w), so i guess with some tact and expertise, it can be done... must learn from them.

melnjes have good ''streetshots'' indeed :) easier to learn from them, i won't know how to help anyone do it except saying you've got to do it yourself to know :sweat:

since i've been moving around pretty much these days ... :bsmilie: ...

111207 three

071211.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.